BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Dreamer
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I'm using "ODS EXCEL" to output "PROC REPORT" output to Excel 2007. It works fine when I have smaller data set (30 K Obs).

But it gives following error when my data set grows to 69K.

ERROR: Not enough memory to SET/GET instance attribute OA_UNFORMATTEDVALUE(3357) for "SCRIPT.TCELL".

ERROR: Event Stack Underflow. This is probably caused by mis-matched begin and end event calls.

ERROR: Fatal ODS error has occurred. Unable to continue processing this output destination.

ERROR: Event Stack Underflow. This is probably caused by mis-matched begin and end event calls.

ERROR: In event 'doc': ?:0: attempt to get length of field 'line' (a nil value)

stack traceback:

?: in function 'put'

?: in function 'puts'

?: in function 'put'

?: in function 'finish_worksheet'

?: in function '?'

?: in function <?:491>

(tail call): ?

: in function 'new_document'

?: in function 'new_stream'

?: in function 'finish_worksheet'

?: in function '?'

?: in function <?:491>

(tail call): ?

ERROR: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of insufficient memory.

I have attached log of this run. PFA

Did any one face this issue? Any suggestion??

4 REPLIES 4
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Excel has limitations on the number of rows/columns you can put into it.  That is why you are getting these problems.  Excel is not a tool for <insert what you intend to do with it>.  Even if you are putting data out to it for people to look at, no-one in their right mind is going look at that much data.

If you are using this for data transfer, then use a proper data transfer format - delimited (e.g. csv), or xml.

Tim_SAS
Barite | Level 11

You should report this to Tech. Support. They'll probably want to see your program and data set (or a data set that is similar enough to reproduce the problem).

In the meantime, try increasing the amount of memory available to SAS by using the MEMSIZE option. Typically what I do in cases like this is use both the  MEMSIZE MAX and FULLSTIMER options. The FULLSTIMER option adds a message to the log that includes the amount of memory SAS actually used. Then you can specify that amount (or a little extra) the next time you run your program.

You can submit a problem report by clicking the submit a problem report link at the bottom of this page.

megganwalker
Fluorite | Level 6

How do you enter MEMSIZE into SAS?

PhilC
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I just had similar errors, involved with ODS Excel, Proc Print, and a large dataset.  It turned out to be a picture format that once eliminated from the code stopped the errors.  To whomever it may concern in the future.  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation