BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Warren
Obsidian | Level 7
I tried to create a pdf file from mainframe SAS 8.2, and then ftp the binary file to PC. However, it does not print blank lines. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
Below is my mainframe program for testing:

OPTIONS ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE;
OPTIONS PAPERSIZE=LEGAL;
OPTIONS LS=145;
OPTIONS NOCENTER;
OPTIONS NODATE NONUMBER;
RUN;
PROC TEMPLATE;
DEFINE STYLE STYLES.TEST;
PARENT=STYLES.PRINTER;
STYLE BATCH FROM OUTPUT /
OUTPUTWIDTH=100%
FONT_SIZE=9.99PT
FONT_FACE=COURIER;
END;
RUN;
ODS LISTING CLOSE;
ODS PDF FILE=OUTF STYLE=STYLES.TEST NOTOC;
TITLE ' ';
DATA _NULL_;
INPUT @01 CC $CHAR1.
@02 TXT $CHAR79.
;
FILE PRINT;
IF CC = '1' THEN PUT _PAGE_;
PUT @10 TXT $CHAR79.;
DATALINES;
1THIS IS LINE 1

THIS IS LINE 3
THIS IS LINE 4
1THIS IS PAGE 2 LINE 1

THIS IS PAGE 2 LINE 3
THIS IS PAGE 2 LINE 4
;
RUN;
ODS _ALL_ CLOSE;
ODS LISTING;
RUN;
6 REPLIES 6
Andre
Obsidian | Level 7
Warren

here is my log under windows 9.1.3 and the result is correct
blank second line are present on both pages

so i have no idea why you have problem
Andre

3952 OPTIONS ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE;
3953 OPTIONS PAPERSIZE=A4;
3954 OPTIONS LS=110;
3955 OPTIONS NOCENTER;
3956 OPTIONS NODATE NONUMBER;
3957 RUN;
3958 PROC TEMPLATE;
3959 DEFINE STYLE warren;
3960 PARENT=STYLES.PRINTER;
3961 STYLE BATCH FROM OUTPUT /
3962 OUTPUTWIDTH=100%
3963 FONT_SIZE=9.99PT
3964 FONT_FACE=COURIER;
3965 END;
NOTE: STYLE 'Warren' has been saved to: SASUSER.TEMPLAT
3966 RUN;
NOTE: PROCEDURE TEMPLATE used (Total process time):
real time 0.65 seconds
cpu time 0.03 seconds

3967 ODS LISTING CLOSE;
3968 ODS PDF FILE="d:\temp\warren.pdf" STYLE=warren NOTOC;
NOTE: Writing ODS PDF output to DISK destination "d:\temp\warren.pdf", printer "PDF".
3969 TITLE ' ';
3970 DATA _NULL_;
3971 INPUT @01 CC $CHAR1.
3972 @02 TXT $CHAR79.
3973 ;
3974 FILE PRINT;
3975 IF CC = '1' THEN PUT _PAGE_;
3976 PUT @10 TXT $CHAR79.;
3977 DATALINES;

NOTE: Non-portable document will be produced. The current settings of FORMCHAR use non-standard line-drawing
characters and the resultant output file will not render correctly unless all readers of the document
have the SAS Monospace font installed. To make your document portable, issue the following command:
OPTIONS FORMCHAR="|----|+|---+=|-/\<>*";

NOTE: 8 lines were written to file PRINT.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
real time 0.78 seconds
cpu time 0.00 seconds

3986 ;
3987 RUN;
3988 ODS pdf CLOSE;
NOTE: ODS PDF printed 2 pages to d:\temp\warren.pdf.
3989 ODS LISTING;
3990 RUN;
Warren
Obsidian | Level 7
I don't have problem creating pdf blank lines using PC SAS, but I have problem creating pdf blank lines using mainframe and then ftp download the binary pdf file to PC. The downloaded pdf file does not have blank lines.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
You may have to add ASIS=ON to your style template. I'm not sure, however, that that is the problem. You might want to contact Tech Support for more help with this issue.

cynthia
Warren
Obsidian | Level 7
I just tried adding ASIS=ON as shown below, but it does not work. The blank line is still not printed. Is that the right place to add (see below)?

PROC TEMPLATE;
DEFINE STYLE STYLES.TEST;
PARENT=STYLES.PRINTER;
STYLE BATCH FROM OUTPUT /
ASIS=ON
OUTPUTWIDTH=100%
FONT_SIZE=9.99PT
FONT_FACE=COURIER;
END;
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I'm really not sure. I -think- I see what you're trying to do, but it doesn't make sense to me to try to "read and duplicate" carriage control characters, which is what it looks like you're doing. I believe that with "batch" output, such as what you're doing, that the OUTPUT element may still be affected by BODY or CONTAINER.
But, even so, if ASIS=ON did not have a visible effect when you used it in the BATCH element, then I think your best bet for help is to contact Tech Support. I think, but don't know for sure that the output and kind of blank lines that you are writing with your code may be suppressed in 1 of 3 places (or more):
1) suppressed as SAS writes the file to PDF on your mainframe system
2) suppressed as the file is FTP'd in binary mode
3) suppressed as the newly FTP'd file is opened by Acrobat on the other platform

It probably doesn't do any good for anyone to test this kind of program on the PC because with FTP being involved, it's very hard to know how or where the blank lines are being written out. For example, in a totally unrelated instance, there were ways of generating output using SAS/IntrNet that would generate blank lines when the output was written to the LISTING window, but would suppress the blank lines when ODS HTML was used.

I think that Tech Support should get consulted on this one.

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
How up to date is your maintenance on V8.2? The original method of generating PDF didn't use compression, etc, but that seems to have been fixed with hotfix 82BB97. We are running with hotfix bundle 82BX09.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation