BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sasjourney
Calcite | Level 5

Hello all,

I was trying to create links internally based on the values of a variable but wasn't able to create a link when the word I wanted to create a link for is a string.

For example, say I have a variable "Text" as below and have information on different pages of a PDF document for each of the values.

obs Text

1     Apples

2     Grapes

3     Apples Oranges

4     Apples Oranges Grapes

5     Apples are good

I was able to create links when there is only one value (Apples or Grapes) but wasn't successful in creating links when there is some other text associated with the text I wanted to create the link or to create different links for each valid word (different links for Apples, Oranges in obs 3 or link to Apples in obs 4). Can someone please help me on how to get this right.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Mmm, from experience links are a pain.  I had a discussion on this type of thing some time back: https://communities.sas.com/thread/42000

I would assign each link a unique identifier in a datastep and use that rather than just text, e.g. L0001 = Apples, L0002=Grapes etc.

sasjourney
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the reply RW, I was using text as anchor as discussed in your posted thread below but that seems not working. I will try using mix of numbers and see if that works.

Thanks

Ksharp
Super User
data have;
input obs Text & $400.;
cards;
1     Apples
2     Grapes
3     Apples Oranges
4     Apples Oranges Grapes
5     Apples are good
;
run;
data temp(drop=i temp text);
 set have;
 length t temp $ 400;
 do i=1 to countw(text);
  temp=scan(text,i);
  if temp='Apples'     then temp=catx(' ','~S={url="http://www.wwe.com"}',temp);
   else if temp='Oranges'     then temp=catx(' ','~S={url="http://www.sas.com"}',temp);
  t=catx(' ',t,temp);
 end;
run;
ods listing close;
ods html file='x.html' style=sasweb;
ods escapechar='~';
proc report data=temp nowd ;run;
ods html close;
ods listing;

Xia Keshan

sasjourney
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Xia,

Your example only works for HTML output but not for PDF.

Thanks

Ksharp
Super User

Contact with SAS Technical Support .

OR

Cynthia@sas might give you an answer.

Xia Keshan

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation