BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I'm going through the ETL Studio tutorial, which says I can and should create folders titles Studio_etl\Sources and Studio_etl\Objects on my PC in the windows environment. Howeever, when I use the Studio editor to create files within the Sources folder, I get an error message that ETL can't find the folder.

How do I get ETL to "point itself" to the folder I made on my PC? Right now, it looks like it's trying to find the folder on my metadata server, which is not what I want.

If anyone has a thought, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi!
This is really not an ODS or BASE SAS Reporting question. Since you are using the SAS Enterprise Intelligence Platform and are doing the ETL tutorial, you have moved outside the realm of BASE SAS and into the Business Intelligence world.

Even though the tutorial instructed you to create those files on your local computer, I believe that almost everything you do in ETL has some involvement with the metadata server. So, your best bet for a quick response is to contact Tech Support on this one.

Good luck,
cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi, Cynthia,

I know its not an ODS or BASE SAS Reporting question, however, based on the category names in the forum, did not know where to place my question. Could perhaps a new category be set up, such as "Questions that don't fit other categories?"

And, if the tutorial indicates folders can be created on my PC, isn't that safer to create the folders there, as opposed to beginners creating foleders on the Metadata server? Just wondering.....

I'll try tech support for some help on this one.

Thanks for replying so quickly - it's appreciated!
deleted_user
Not applicable
the metadata server will allow you to define these folders within their relevant role. I expect it is among the advice within the tutorial. Customer Support will clarify.

Good Luck

PeterC
deleted_user
Not applicable
pardon me for correcting my self
(maybe I should leave this kind of correction to others, but.. )
I should refer, not to the metadata server, but the SAS Management Console (commonly referred to as the SMC).
It is the SMC which provides an interface through which such metadata as paths, can be defined within an extensive set of roles/purposes.

PeterC
deleted_user
Not applicable
Peter,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a complete newby in the SAS world, and am trying to read books/manuals and do these tutorials to get up to speed ASAP.

I appreciate your replies.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi!
I knew that you knew that! 😉

Questions that don't fit other categories generally turn out to be Tech Support questions. I have not actually done the ETL tutorial for 2 reasons 1) my hard drive crashed and ate my install of ETL Studio (really) and 2) the image that I've been using for course development has DI Studio (the successor to ETL studio). Also, since I've been travelling the stored process road I haven't concentrated that much on ETL.

I suspect that the tutorial is either making an assumption about your particular install of SMC (SAS Mgt Console) and ETL OR, it was instructing you to associate an SMC folder with a location on your local PC -- going through the metadata. But as I said, I really don't know for sure how this particular tutorial works.

The difficulty with BI questions on the forum is that everybody's particular installations will be different depending on the PLAN.XML for their installation. If you had a single user install of the SAS Enterprise Intelligence Platform on your personal PC -- which is one possible configuration -- then folders on your personal PC would actually be the storage location for the SAS metadata.... but you would still have to get to them via SAS Management Console or ETL or Information Map Studio or OLAP Cube Studio, etc.

Good luck!
cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Ain't this frustrating! Sounds like you're saying I need Management console installed ion my machine. Is that right?

In any case, thanks for your advice and assistance!
deleted_user
Not applicable
I got the thing figured out....it took a few tries, but to make a long story short, I discovered the spot in the tutorial where I had to point things to my test server, AFTER my folders got created on the server. My discovery curve is still in vertical.

Thanks again for replying!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation