BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Patty
Calcite | Level 5

I am writing a program to output a SAS data set to a .txt file. The issues this certain field in SAS is a character field with numbers which normally would not be a problem except that in the out output they want leading zeros added to the field. I have to problem changing the character field to a numeric field either. Which ever way I can add and display the leading zeros. I've tried the tagattr format that I've used when outputting to excel but this is not working. Any ideas would be helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you are writing to a text file there is no way to attach any attributes.

If the values inside the character variables have leading zeros then they will be preserved by SAS, if you are not seeing them then the problem is with the tool you are using to view the text file.

If the values do not have leading zeros then you will need to convert them.

So if your character variable is length 10 and all values are integers then you could use something like this:

myvar = put(input(myvar,10,),z10.);

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

sure it is char

method 1

- SAS(R) 9.3 Functions and CALL Routines: Reference (right align)

- SAS(R) 9.3 Functions and CALL Routines: Reference (translate)

method 2

- convert to number (input fucntion) and use the numeric format (Base sas limt to ca 12 digits precision) 

- SAS(R) 9.3 Formats and Informats: Reference (Zw.d format)

method ?

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you are writing to a text file there is no way to attach any attributes.

If the values inside the character variables have leading zeros then they will be preserved by SAS, if you are not seeing them then the problem is with the tool you are using to view the text file.

If the values do not have leading zeros then you will need to convert them.

So if your character variable is length 10 and all values are integers then you could use something like this:

myvar = put(input(myvar,10,),z10.);

Patty
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Tom,

This worked. I just had to make 1 adjustment: myvar=put(input(myvar,10.)z10);

Thanks everyone, All the suggestions opened up possible answers to other issues.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

As Tom explained, if you create ASCII text file, such as a CSV file, that has leading zeroes and then open the file with Excel, I believe that Excel will not respect leading zeroes. So you will either need to adjust the value in Excel or you will need to change the method that you use to create your output. For example, if you run the code below, you WILL see zeroes if you open the CSV file in Notepad, but you will NOT see zeroes if you open the CSV file with Excel. Either the MSOFFICE2K output (which is HTML, simply named as XLS to "fool" the Windows registry into launching Excel) or the TAGSETS.EXCELXP output (which is XML) will show zeroes  in Excel.

Cynthia

ods csv file='c:\temp\leadzero_comma.csv';
proc print data=sashelp.class;
  ** 1) will *NOT* see zeroes in Excel;
  ** *WILL* see zeroes in Notepad -- which means that SAS did the right thing ;

** and EXCEL is not respecting the leading zeroes;
  var name age height;
  format age z5. height z8.2;
run;
ods csv close;

ods msoffice2k file='c:\temp\leadzero_mso.xls' style=sasweb;
  ** 2) will see zeroes in Excel;
  var name;
  var age / style(column)={htmlstyle='mso-number-format:00000'};
  var height/ style(column)={htmlstyle='mso-number-format:00000.00'};
  run;
ods msoffice2k close;

ods tagsets.excelxp file='c:\temp\leadzero_xp.xml' style=sasweb;
  ** 3) will see zeroes in Excel;
  var name;
  var age / style(column)={tagattr='00000'};
  var height/ style(column)={tagattr='00000.00'};
  run;
ods tagsets.excelxp close;

Vish33
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

I faced this problem in my previous report and it solved by giving the tagattr="format:@" to get the leading zero's in excel.

define 'Co-op'n   / display  "Co-Op" style(column)=[ indent=4 tagattr="format:@" just=center background=cxffffff foreground=stbr] ;

Regards,

Vish

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation