BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RB1Kenobi
Quartz | Level 8

Hello

I have SAS 9.4 on a Windows environment.

We have been using DDE to print multiple output onto a worksheet where the output is placed side by side across the worksheet.     However we would like to move away from DDE as it seems to be slow on the latest Windows version to the point of being unusable.

I don't believe ods tagsets.ExcelXP permits side-by-side layout

Does ODS Excel within 9.4 permit side-by-side layout, and if so how is this specified please?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

An example might help.  Why can you not create the output files, and join them together?  Quite simple you could even use Excel nomencalture, eg:

dataset1 ROWNO  A B C D

dataset2 ROWNO  E F G H 

Merged:

ROWNO A B C D E F G H

You could also try the option;

PAGE_ORDER_ACROSS no If set to yes, the worksheet page order will be set to print across, then down

Look in the guidance:
https://support.sas.com/rnd/base/ods/odsmarkup/excelxp_help.html

RB1Kenobi
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks RW9.    I am trying to mimic the level of output location control that DDE provides.  

I had considered joining the output together and using proc report styling hacks to make it appear as two outputs.   But this might not always work as we have many reports that have been built using DDE over the years.

The tagset option PAGE_ORDER_ACROSS creates one output per worksheet, whereas I am trying to control multiple SAS outputs within one worksheet e.g. the audience wants to compare tables side by side when printed on paper.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Not with tagset.  You can try this:

http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/A_Poor/Rich_SAS_Users_Proc_Export

Never used it myself.  If it was me, I would change the whole process, never seen the point in multiple outputs on one sheet, or big Excel files.  Excel is really not a reporting environment, not a data transfer file format etc.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
To me, the key part of your statement is: "the audience wants to compare tables side by side when printed on paper" -- so why not give them a PDF output that will allow them to do exactly this. ODS PDF does allow you to print tables side by side -- the simple way -- using COLUMNS=2 or the more complicated way -- using ODS LAYOUT and ODS REGION.

ODS PDF was originally written with the underlying assumption that the output could be printed. That is not necessarily true of the other destinations.

cynthia
RB1Kenobi
Quartz | Level 8
Yes I agree, but I guarantee when I distribute the report the first response will be to ask for it in Excel! We can only try : )
ballardw
Super User

Maybe not ideal but this shows a combined data set split across by the data set name. Use of IN= options in the Work.All would allow conditional assignment of better text than the data set name. To compare data the two sets should be sorted the same.

data work.one;
   input grp x y;
datalines;
1 3 28
1 2 56
1 5 33
;
run;
data work.two;
   input grp x y;
datalines;
1 3 28
1 2 56
1 5 23
;
run;

data work.all;
   length source $42.;
   set work.one work.two indsname=temp;
   source = temp;
run;

proc report data=work.all;
   column source,(grp x y);
   define source /across;
run;
quit;

RB1Kenobi
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you for your input, that's an interesting datastep trick.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation