BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pawan
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

Sorry that I always trouble myself in interacting with Excel and come to back to you guys. Here I've another issue and dont know if it is possible to resolve.

I've a regular report sharing to various clients which has got about few numeric variables(values with amounts, so needed to be numeric) and for some reasons I had to generate this as XML file rather than Excel(because excel cant serve my pupose to load data into multible tabs with needed formats like WRAP the grouped observations).

So here I've a certain requirement where we got to block with showing up of amounts for specific observations(records) and thereby my clients are requesting me to put a text like 'BLOCKED' on such numeric fields:smileyshocked:. I never knew that we programmers do need to think to this extent while developing technologies Smiley Wink. ...might be we need to think about another new datatype.. Opportunity!!  I doubt if it is really possible but anyways if someone has some ideas pls do share to help me.

Also, it will be greatly appreciated if you suggest me the best way to convert XML files back into Excel files without disturbing the formats like Word WRAP, MERGE, etc..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
data_null__
Jade | Level 19
proc format;

value blk other='Blocked';

run;
PROC REPORT DATA=sashelp.shoes;
   COLUMNS _all_;
   DEFINE region / GROUP;

DEFINE product / GROUP;

DEFINE sales / DISPLAY FORMAT=dollar10.2;

compute before region;
      _region=region;

endcomp;

compute before product;
      _product=product;

endcomp;

compute sales;
      if _region in('Africa' 'Canada') and _product eq: 'Slipper' then call define('sales','format','blk.');
      endcomp;

RUN;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Something like perhaps.

proc format;

value wt 110-high='Blocked' other=[Best7.];
   run;
proc report data=sashelp.class nowindows;

column _all_;
   define _all_ / display;

format weight wt.;

run;
pawan
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, But I got to use conditional formatting based on the values of one or more other variables rather than from the values of the same variable on which the format is applied. I think this should be done someway in the COMPUTE BLOCK..

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Yes how about you post some sample data then we don't have to guess what you want.:smileyshocked:

pawan
Obsidian | Level 7

Oops, sorry for the confusion..:smileymischief: Here is an ex. as below

COLUMNS _all_;

DEFINE region / GROUP;

DEFINE product / GROUP;

RUN;

For the output, I would like to block the amounts of SALES wherever REGION is either 'Africa' or 'Canada' and PRODUCT is 'Slippers', so that SALES value is shown as BLOCKED.

Thanks for your support.

Message was edited by: Pawan Kumar

data_null__
Jade | Level 19
proc format;

value blk other='Blocked';

run;
   COLUMNS _all_;
   DEFINE region / GROUP;

DEFINE product / GROUP;

compute before region;
      _region=region;

endcomp;

compute before product;
      _product=product;

endcomp;

compute sales;
      if _region in('Africa' 'Canada') and _product eq: 'Slipper' then call define('sales','format','blk.');
      endcomp;

RUN;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation