BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
dineshg1984
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

Need a small assistance. I am creating a dataset and exporting them as an excell file. Then I zip and encrypt them through PKzip manually and upload the same to library.

I am pllannnning to automate the zip & encryption part as want to zip & encrypt the file at exporting step only.

I got stuck and need some guidance here.

Thanks

DInesh

7 REPLIES 7
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

You would use the command line to do this.  You can send out command line strings in numerous ways, X being one of them.  The below assumes Windows operating system, and you will need to check the pkzip command line parameters to make sure:

x "wzzip <location to output zip>\<output zip>.zip -s -yc <yourfile>,xlsx";
dineshg1984
Calcite | Level 5

Hi RW9,

Thanks for responding to my query.

Actually I have schedulled my code on Crontab and it throws output at a particular location on server space as an excell. I was just trying to encrypt that excell using PKZip.

Thanks

DInesh

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Are you running on Unix?  You need to use zip instead of pkzip.  Check your system for what commands you have and the syntax for using them.

dineshg1984
Calcite | Level 5

Hey Tom,

Actuually I am able to zip the file on unix however I also want to encrypt it with password and zip in unix dont give me option to encrypt the fille

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Wel, then you will want to look at ways of automating the "crontab" job so as that runs the command line compression package on your output file.  I don't use this so can't help there, but normally in OS scripting you run a series of commands, the last one on that list of commands should be a call to the zip exe with the parameters it needs to compress the file. 

Irrespective of process, its not a SAS task, but an operating system task as it is using a command line program to compress a file.

dineshg1984
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Lets forget about zipping the file. Is it possible to password protect my excel that i am exporting.

I am running this sas code as cronjob which save the output to a folder at server. Since the file is quite heavy so itt would be a time consuming effort to get the file on my local system and passwork protect  it and then upload it back.

I was just wondring to automate the stuff to save myself some time

Thanks

DG

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Wouldn't have thought so.  If you create the output file via one of the tagsets, then it is XML output - i.e. plain text which Excel can read and interpret.  As I have said above, you will need to call some third party commandline tool to process the file, and encrypt it.  Just searching on Google yields the same information:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/17641/create-encrypted-password-protected-zip-file

Here is 7zip, one of the most popular zip programs, and it has a command line action:

https://sevenzip.osdn.jp/chm/cmdline/

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation