BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I find that sometimes using ODS EXCEL to produce reports, my custom format doesn't seem to work, and ODS EXCEL puts something else in the field. Why is this happening, and how can I fix it?

Example where it works as expected

proc format;
    value amountf low-10000='<=10K' 10000<-20000='10K-20K';
run;

data a;
    amount=7500; x=2; output;
    amount=16666; x=3; output;
    format amount amountf.;
run;

ods excel file="test.xlsx";
proc report data=a;
    columns amount x;
    define amount/group order=internal;
    define x/display;
run;
ods excel close;

this produces the following correct output in Excel

PaigeMiller_0-1701176131768.png

but what I really want is a format with dollar signs 

proc format;
    value amountf low-10000='<=$10K' 10000<-20000='$10K-$20K';
run;
ods excel file="test2.xlsx";
proc report data=a;
    columns amount x;
    define amount/group order=internal;
    define x/display;
run;
ods excel close;

and this is what I see in the output EXCEL file, note that my format with dollar signs seems to appear properly for <=$10K but not for $10K-$20K:

PaigeMiller_1-1701176214042.png

I also show the appearance of data set A in SAS viewtable, which does apply the format properly:

PaigeMiller_2-1701176290319.png

--
Paige Miller
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
A_Kh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Actually, I found a paper which explains how to export formats properly into Excel. When using tagattr='format:text' style option it will export all special characters as intended.  So, the below code will create Excel file without issue:

proc report data=a;
    columns amount x;
    define amount/group style(column)={tagattr='format:text'} order=internal;
    define x/display;
run;
ods excel close;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
A_Kh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I've tried style options with tagattr=format attribute and it worked, but with a minor excel issue.  Excel file doesn't open automatically, instead it shows a notification 'We found an issue.. Do you want us to recover the file.." and when clicked 'Yes' the issue is resolved and the file opens with proper format. 

This might give your some direction how to resolve the issue.

proc report data=a;
    columns amount x;
    define amount/group style(column)={tagattr='format:amountf.'} order=internal;
    define x/display;
run;
ods excel close;

excel.
Capture.PNG

result.
Capture1.PNG

Chevell_sas
SAS Employee

This appears to be a defect. The first character of "$" in the format is causing an issue where the values are passed through rather than applying the formatted value.  I will get a defect entered on this problem so we can get this fixed. Feel free to open a case with Technical Support and I will have more details after this is fully debugged.

A_Kh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Actually, I found a paper which explains how to export formats properly into Excel. When using tagattr='format:text' style option it will export all special characters as intended.  So, the below code will create Excel file without issue:

proc report data=a;
    columns amount x;
    define amount/group style(column)={tagattr='format:text'} order=internal;
    define x/display;
run;
ods excel close;
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Thanks to both @A_Kh and @Chevell_sas 

--
Paige Miller
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The solution here from @A_Kh also solves this problem: https://communities.sas.com/t5/ODS-and-Base-Reporting/Picture-Format-not-working-in-ODS-EXCEL/m-p/67... unfortunately that thread is locked or I would add it there.

@ChrisHemedinger is there any chance this solution can be added to the older thread mentioned above?

--
Paige Miller
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I added a link from that older topic back to here for those who need it.

Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation