BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Suppose, because I would like to create some visual separation between groups of columns in PROC REPORT output, I want a column that is shaded gray and has no data in it. I can get most of the way there via this program. Note the use of the fake variable GAP in the columns statement, which produces the empty column F in the Excel output. But you can see the gray appears for the DATA rows but not for the header rows. In PROC REPORT, I use style(header) but it doesn't produce the desired results. So how can I get PROC REPORT to shade the first two rows of column F the same color gray?

proc format;
    value gapf .,low-high=' ';
run;

ods excel file="test.xlsx";
proc report data=sashelp.cars(obs=50);
    columns make msrp,type gap invoice,type;
    define make/group "Make";
    define type/across " ";
    define gap/' ' format=gapf. style(column)={cellwidth=.01in backgroundcolor=verylightgray}
         style(header)={backgroundcolor=verylightgray};
    define msrp/mean "MSRP";
    define invoice/mean "Invoice";
run;
ods excel close;

PaigeMiller_0-1717415919519.png

Also, how can I make column F narrower, the option cellwidth=.01in doesn't seem to make it that narrow? Is this too narrow in Excel? EDIT: it appears I can narrow the column width via the ABSOLUTE_COLUMN_WIDTH option of ODS EXCEL, but that's tedious, it still would be better if I could do it in PROC REPORT with STYLE()=.

--
Paige Miller
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

Paige,

You could use Traffic Light to get it .

But for your second question, I think you have to use "ABSOLUTE_COLUMN_WIDTH ", or maybe @Cynthia_sas  knew something I don't know.

proc format;
value $fmt
'd'='verylightgray'
;
run;

ods excel file="c:\temp\test.xlsx";
proc report data=sashelp.cars(obs=50) nowd style(header)={foreground=$fmt. backgroundcolor=$fmt.};
    columns make msrp,type ('d' (' ' dummy)) invoice,type;
    define type/across " ";
    define dummy/computed 'd' style(column header)={ backgroundcolor=verylightgray};
    define msrp/mean "MSRP";
	compute dummy/character length=1;
	 dummy=' ';
	endcomp;
run;
ods excel close;

Ksharp_0-1717468618042.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ksharp
Super User

Paige,

You could use Traffic Light to get it .

But for your second question, I think you have to use "ABSOLUTE_COLUMN_WIDTH ", or maybe @Cynthia_sas  knew something I don't know.

proc format;
value $fmt
'd'='verylightgray'
;
run;

ods excel file="c:\temp\test.xlsx";
proc report data=sashelp.cars(obs=50) nowd style(header)={foreground=$fmt. backgroundcolor=$fmt.};
    columns make msrp,type ('d' (' ' dummy)) invoice,type;
    define type/across " ";
    define dummy/computed 'd' style(column header)={ backgroundcolor=verylightgray};
    define msrp/mean "MSRP";
	compute dummy/character length=1;
	 dummy=' ';
	endcomp;
run;
ods excel close;

Ksharp_0-1717468618042.png

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Very nice, @Ksharp . Thanks!

--
Paige Miller
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Ksharp's solution is the technique that I suggest if you need to control spanning headers with a different color (spanning headers is where the empty blue header for the GAP column comes from on the row with MSRP and Invoice). Absolute_Column_Width is the only way I know to force Excel to change width when cellwidth doesn't work.
Cynthia

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 3 in conversation