BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Having just started with a new company, I'm coming across people who uncheck the default docked option for the small explorer and results window on the side. Thus I am coming up against programs statements that run over the right side of my window in SAS.

As my background includes working on v5 on MVS, this habit historically caused a lot of problems with loose text not seen. The danger here is going to be repeated I fear.

So as a forum who works with the docked option - i.e. the default option - and who does not? Should I be changing my habits and lose the functionality of the docked windows which I have come to value so much? If the SAS world is going undocked, us dockers need to change.
7 REPLIES 7
deleted_user
Not applicable
I live on my docked explorer. I'm constantly viewing my datasets and I can't imagine not having such easy access to them, not having to flip off the editor screen.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you Elayne. It’s nice to know that I have allies in the battle!

This is my sixth placement since the introduction of V8 and it’s my first where people work without the docked explorer. The most irritating feature is reports they produce where the important feature tends to be off the right side of my output window.

I'm certainly not going to change - I can’t work without the docked explorer either.

Think I may try to introduce the functionality of producing HTML output instead of standard SAS - then that will solve the problem - I think. I find myself working in an environment where SAS output is not used at all in standard business reporting (currently converting from Excel to Cognos) - I think a BIG pity considering the options.
deleted_user
Not applicable
"Think I may try to introduce the functionality of producing HTML output instead of standard SAS - then that will solve the problem - I think. I find myself working in an environment where SAS output is not used at all in standard business reporting (currently converting from Excel to Cognos) - I think a BIG pity considering the options."

Personally, I have been a huge fan of that idea. At my workplace, I'm the ONLY SAS user, so the ability for me to output my reports as a PDF has been priceless.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Got to say - I always use HTML output - I'm the only SAS user and it makes life easier for everyone if I output in HTML!!
deleted_user
Not applicable
to deal with lines of code wider than your editor area

try making the editing font smaller

have larger screen area by using higher res display, allowing more 8pt characters per line

ensure tab boundaries are no wider than you're happy with

suggest something like the notepad word-wrap feature

good luck
deleted_user
Not applicable
Peterc,
I was trying to determine if being a docked worker was a thing of the pastt. I can't do without my little explorer / result window.

So what are you?
deleted_user
Not applicable
I am (or was) very much a "docked" user

although, should we be asking ourselves, for how much longer?

Should we embrace Enterprise Guide ?

Why maintain any of SAS Display Manager?

Serious questions -
I was bamboozled into committing to EQ at the futures forum ! So seek guidance on these alternatives.

Peter

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation