BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Andre
Obsidian | Level 7

The documentation says

"The print procedure is now completely integrated with ODS."

In comparison with proc freq  that was progressively integrated into ODS with specific output objects

i am wondering in the case of the proc print output

if

and where is the specific table template that is behind the proc

Or does the sentence means only that you may entirely act on the style template

so that it relays the modifications  into the proc (without {style...} adds-on)   ?

Andre

Trace:

Nom :          Print

Libellé :      Table WORK.CLASS

Nom données :  ProcPrintTable

Chemin :       Print.ByGroup1.Print

-------------

NOTE: The above message was for the following BY group:

Sex=F

Sortie ajoutée :

-------------

Nom :          Print

Libellé :      Table WORK.CLASS

Nom données :  ProcPrintTable

Chemin :       Print.ByGroup2.Print

-------------

NOTE: The above message was for the following BY group:

Sex=M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, Andre:

As far as I know, PROC PRINT, PROC REPORT and PROC TABULATE do NOT have table templates. The work with PROC FREQ did result in a table template for crosstab tables.

I think what is meant by PROC PRINT being "fully integrated" into ODS refers to the fact that in early versions of SAS and ODS DOCUMENT, the output object created by PROC PRINT did not "play well" with ODS DOCUMENT, as I remember, especially with BY group processing, there were some possible issues. I think if you look in the What's New for either 9.2 or 9.3, you will see a note about PROC REPORT being integrated into ODS DOCUMENT and then PROC PRINT being integrated into ODS DOCUMENT.

You will still have to use style(area)={attr=value} overrides for things like the subtotal lines or the grand total lines...with PRINT, REPORT and using slightly different syntax for TABULATE as well. Some of the things you can do with PRINT, REPORT and TABULATE allow you MORE control over report areas (like output from a LINE statement or a Grand Total line) than a style template is built for. A style template has to work with all those other procedures (FREQ, MEANS, GLM, REG, etc, etc)  that do not have style override capabilities. But, with those procedures, you can put style overrides directly into the table template that governs the procedure. Because procedures like PRINT, REPORT and TABULATE do NOT have table templates, the style override syntax is a way to give you a finer level of control.

cynthia

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi, Andre:

As far as I know, PROC PRINT, PROC REPORT and PROC TABULATE do NOT have table templates. The work with PROC FREQ did result in a table template for crosstab tables.

I think what is meant by PROC PRINT being "fully integrated" into ODS refers to the fact that in early versions of SAS and ODS DOCUMENT, the output object created by PROC PRINT did not "play well" with ODS DOCUMENT, as I remember, especially with BY group processing, there were some possible issues. I think if you look in the What's New for either 9.2 or 9.3, you will see a note about PROC REPORT being integrated into ODS DOCUMENT and then PROC PRINT being integrated into ODS DOCUMENT.

You will still have to use style(area)={attr=value} overrides for things like the subtotal lines or the grand total lines...with PRINT, REPORT and using slightly different syntax for TABULATE as well. Some of the things you can do with PRINT, REPORT and TABULATE allow you MORE control over report areas (like output from a LINE statement or a Grand Total line) than a style template is built for. A style template has to work with all those other procedures (FREQ, MEANS, GLM, REG, etc, etc)  that do not have style override capabilities. But, with those procedures, you can put style overrides directly into the table template that governs the procedure. Because procedures like PRINT, REPORT and TABULATE do NOT have table templates, the style override syntax is a way to give you a finer level of control.

cynthia

Andre
Obsidian | Level 7

So what's new for proc print behind "fully integrated" is quite only bounded with ods document!

This was not clear from what's new in 9.3 pdf document!

I had noticed already the by behavior comparing "ods traces"  between 9.2.3 and 9.3.

Thank you Cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation