BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
lc7033907
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello all,

I came across utility macros and standard macros when reading pharmaceutical papers. But I never heard of them before. Any share is welcome. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User
Those are user defined terms, so they can mean whatever you want them to....the usage and terms will vary from company to company.

My guesses would be:

Utility macro's are likely a touch more generic, e.g add commas between macro variable lists, or retrieve information on a specific file

Standard macros, would be macros that you use to do accomplish some sort of requirements but is usually more complex and has multiple steps, e.g A reporting macro to prepare financial end of month statements.

And someone else can interpret those entirely differently.
lc7033907
Obsidian | Level 7

@Reeza Thanks  for your sharing. I searched them online several times, but never got specific definitions. Maybe the reason is what you explained. Thanks a lot.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@lc7033907 wrote:

Hello all,

I came across utility macros and standard macros when reading pharmaceutical papers. But I never heard of them before. Any share is welcome. Thanks.

In pharmaceutical area they probably a distinguishing between something that is of generic utility for working with SAS data of any type and specific macros that produce company standard reports.  So you might have a "standard" macro for producing a summary of adverse event report that calls a "utility" macro to produce the title statements.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation