BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
linlin87
Quartz | Level 8

Hi SAS Community,

I am selecting data from a larger table based on two macro variables, var1 and var2. Both are numeric BEST12.

However, when I run the SQL code I am getting an empty dataset and I can't work out why. Any help would be really appreciated!

proc sql;
select distinct var1 into :v1 separated by "," from dataset1; %put &v1;
quit;

proc sql;
select distinct var2 into :v2 separated by "," from dataset1; %put &v2;
quit;

proc sql; 
create table output1 as 
select *
from dataset2
where var1 in (&v1) and var2 in (&v2);
quit;

I have checked, and in dataset2 the two variables are also BEST12. format. There is no error code, the file is just empty. I have also checked and instances of var1, var2 occur in both dataset1 and dataset2 so I do not know why it is not pulling data from dataset2 based on these two variables.

Example outputs of %put &v1 and %put &v2:

2.2007E8,2.2008E8,2.2009E8,2.2106E8,2.2111E8

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

This could be the problem

&v2 = 

The exponential notation used here indicates that it is not likely matching the exact number in DATASET2, because this truncates the value to an integer rounded to the nearest 10,000 (I think).  I think this might help:

select distinct var2 format=best12. into :v2 separated by "," from dataset1;

I also think maybe you should avoid macro variables when they are not necessary ... data is better handled in data set variables. So this ought to work without macro variables

proc sql; 
    create table output1 as 
    select *
    from dataset2
    where var1 in (select distinct var1 from dataset1) and var2 in (select distinct var2 from dataset1);
quit;

although subqueries like this can be slow on large data sets.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

This could be the problem

&v2 = 

The exponential notation used here indicates that it is not likely matching the exact number in DATASET2, because this truncates the value to an integer rounded to the nearest 10,000 (I think).  I think this might help:

select distinct var2 format=best12. into :v2 separated by "," from dataset1;

I also think maybe you should avoid macro variables when they are not necessary ... data is better handled in data set variables. So this ought to work without macro variables

proc sql; 
    create table output1 as 
    select *
    from dataset2
    where var1 in (select distinct var1 from dataset1) and var2 in (select distinct var2 from dataset1);
quit;

although subqueries like this can be slow on large data sets.

--
Paige Miller
linlin87
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks Paige. Why does is the macro not automatically stored as best12. given var2 is best12.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Because as I said, data is best used in DATA steps or PROCs. Creating macro variables from this data means you are converting the data value to a text string (because all macro variables are text strings) and that is the default conversion to text.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation