BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
joesmama
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

Trying to run some survival plots this morning but SAS 9.4 (running locally on my PC) is suddenly saying "Unable to load Java Virtual Machine". Based on some other posts, I suspect this might have something to do with a directory path. I tried to run PROC JAVAINFO but it didn't work for some reason. The output from PROC OPTIONS is shown below. Would appreciate your help. Thank you. 

ERROR: Proc javainfo did not run correctly.
2873 proc javainfo ;
2875 run ;

2877 proc options option=jreoptions ;
2879 run ;

SAS (r) Proprietary Software Release 9.4 TS1M5

JREOPTIONS=( -DPFS_TEMPLATE=C:\Program
Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\tkjava\sasmisc\qrpfstpt.xml
-Djava.class.path=C:\PROGRA~1\SASHome\SASVER~1\eclipse\plugins\SASLAU~1.JAR
-Djava.security.auth.login.config=C:\Program
Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\tkjava\sasmisc\sas.login.config
-Djava.security.policy=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\tkjava\sasmisc\sas.policy
-Djava.system.class.loader=com.sas.app.AppClassLoader
-Dlog4j.configuration=file:/C:/Program%20Files/SASHome/SASFoundation/9.4/tkjava/sasmisc/sas.log4
j.properties
-Dsas.app.class.path=C:\PROGRA~1\SASHome\SASVER~1\eclipse\plugins\tkjava.jar
-Dsas.ext.config=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASFoundation\9.4\tkjava\sasmisc\sas.java.ext.config
-Dsas.jre.libjvm=C:\PROGRA~1\SASHome\SASPRI~1\9.4\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll
-Dtkj.app.launch.config=C:\PROGRA~1\SASHome\SASVER~1\picklist -Xms128m
-Xmx128m )
Specifies the Java Runtime Environment options for SAS.
NOTE: PROCEDURE OPTIONS used (Total process time):
real time 0.01 seconds
cpu time 0.01 seconds

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

PROC JAVAINFO uses Java to report its diagnostics. So if Java won't run the proc errors out.

Another option may be that friendly IT "upgraded" your Java install and then removed the version SAS uses. This can cause a similar issue because the JRE options in the Config file will likely be pointing to the previously installed version.

If the paths that JRE options point to are missing you may need to reinstall the version of Java that SAS expects.

joesmama
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you. I can't figure out what happened but a reboot of my computer seemed to fix the issue. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation