BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sasstudent2021
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I am having issues with an inner join by two variables, FIPS and year. When I join by year in addition to FIPS, I get no output (zero rows). The year variable in both datasets is type num, length 8, but the year in one of them has a year4. format. I have checked the data and both contain years in my desired range (1997-2014) so the issue is not that there are no matches. Most of the year variable entries in one dataset (soccap3) are the result of using proc expand to extrapolate a variable (sk) to missing years, and I suspect this may be part of the issue because the output from proc expand assigns the same VAR number to multiple years.  I have attached a screenshot of the output after proc expand for reference and the relevant code is below. Some things I have tried: deleting the year4. format on the soccap3 year, adding a year4. format to the funda_4 year, deleting b.year from the merge statement. None of these have worked, and I suspect, again, that this is because there is a problem with the year variable from using proc expand. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

/* create social capital values for missing years*/
PROC EXPAND DATA=soccap2 out=soccap3 from=year;
    by fips;
    id year;
RUN;

PROC SORT DATA=soccap3;
BY fips year;
RUN;
/*intermediate steps of importing funda data, adding variables omitted*/
/* merge fundamentals and social capital data*/ PROC SQL; create table funda_final as SELECT a.*, b.sk, b.year from funda_4 as a, soccap3 as b WHERE a.fips=b.fips & a.year=b.year; quit;

proc_Expand_issue.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

"from=year" in your Proc Expand tells us that the year variable must contain a SAS Date value (count of days since 1/1/1960). The year4. format then instructs SAS to print such a value as a 4 digit year.

For any comparison, merge or join SAS will use the internal values and not the formatted ones. I assume that in your other data set "funda_4" the value in the year variable is just a 4 digit number and not a SAS Date - and if so then the values won't match of course.

If my theory is correct then you need to convert the year value in one of the tables so it can match the year value in the other table. Below SQL demonstrates how this could be done (untested as you haven't provided a data step creating sample data).

proc sql;
  create table funda_final as
  select 
    a.*, 
    b.sk, 
    b.year 
  from 
    funda_4 as a, 
    soccap3 as b
  where 
    a.fips=b.fips  
    and a.year=input(put(b.year,year4.),best32.);
quit;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

"from=year" in your Proc Expand tells us that the year variable must contain a SAS Date value (count of days since 1/1/1960). The year4. format then instructs SAS to print such a value as a 4 digit year.

For any comparison, merge or join SAS will use the internal values and not the formatted ones. I assume that in your other data set "funda_4" the value in the year variable is just a 4 digit number and not a SAS Date - and if so then the values won't match of course.

If my theory is correct then you need to convert the year value in one of the tables so it can match the year value in the other table. Below SQL demonstrates how this could be done (untested as you haven't provided a data step creating sample data).

proc sql;
  create table funda_final as
  select 
    a.*, 
    b.sk, 
    b.year 
  from 
    funda_4 as a, 
    soccap3 as b
  where 
    a.fips=b.fips  
    and a.year=input(put(b.year,year4.),best32.);
quit;

sasstudent2021
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you! This solved the issue.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

The SAS year() function provides another way to convert a SAS date value to a year number:

year(b.year)

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation