BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
YukiJudai
Calcite | Level 5

I'm currently working on a project where i'm trying to evaluate differences between 2 tables. The id used for both tables are barcodes but for some reason they sent it in different format. 1 has it like ADC.15462ds32 and the other has the 3 letters at the back like 56sdg56348.ADC.   I'm trying to change it so both barcodes are in the same format so i can inner join the two tables.

so to do so i was wondering if using cat substr(a.barcode,last 3 digits,) but then i am not sure how to move the . and the 1st part around since the digets may be different.

4 REPLIES 4
Astounding
PROC Star

You might even consider using two variables instead of 1, and joining by both BARCODE3 and BARCODE8.  But to move things around:

barcode = catx('.', scan(barcode, 2, '.'), scan(barcode, 1, '.') );

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

If the position of the period is fixed, then it is simpler to move the prefix to the end than the other way around

barcode2 = catx('.', substr(barcode1,5), substr(barcode1,1,3) );

PG
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If the parts are separated by period (and periods don't appear in the sub-parts) then use the SCAN() function.

* When the letter part is first ;
barcode = 'ADC.15462ds32';
L_part = scan(barcode,1,'.');
N_part = scan(barcode,2,'.');

* When the letter part is last ;
barcode = '56sdg56348.ADC';
L_part = scan(barcode,2,'.');
N_part = scan(barcode,1,'.');

Then you can rebuild the code from the two parts.

new_barcode=catx('.',L_part,N_part);

If the "number" part is always longer than 3 characters and the "letter" part is always three characters then you could convert a random stream into a consistent format.

if length(scan(barcode,1,'.')) > 3 then 
  barcode=catx('.',scan(barcode,2,'.'),scan(barcode,1,'.'))
;
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

If you don't insist on using cat-function, try:

data want;
    length barcode newcode $ 20;

input barcode;

newcode = prxchange('s/(.+)\.(.+)/$2.$1/i', -1, trim(barcode));

datalines;
ADC.15462ds32
56sdg56348.ADC
;
run;

As you can see the very same parameters for prxchange are used, regardless of the position of the three letters. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation