BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
M_Gielen
Calcite | Level 5

I am a novice using macros. I want to perform mediation analysis and want to use the PROCESS macro by A. Hayes.

While using the macro I get the error: use &data; ERROR 22-322: Expecting a name.

Line generated by the invoked macro "PROCESS".
43 use &data;

ERROR 22-322: Expecting a name.

how do I solve this?

Thanks,

Marij

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

For using SAS macros you first need to compile the macro definition. This is done by running the code that's between %macro <name of the macro>;... and %mend;

Once the macro has been compiled you can use it. You call a macro by using %<name of the macro>

I've downloaded the macro from https://www.processmacro.org/download.html . The code contains the macro definition AND a sample macro call.

Here the sample macro call:

%process (data=test,activate=1);

Looking into the macro definition I find:

use &data;

I assume you called the macro without providing a value for macro parameter data= and though in the code the macro variable &data resolved to nothing which then caused the error due to a USE command without any table name.

29         %process (activate=1);
NOTE: IML Ready
NOTE: Line generated by the invoked macro "PROCESS".
29                          use &data;
                                     _

It appears that to use this macro you need training or at least access and a read of the documentation. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Quentin
Super User

Hi,

We need more information to help.  Can you share the macro definition (i.e. the code that creates the macro)?  Can you turn on the option MPRINT, and then run your code, and post the full log starting with the macro call?

One possibility is that the macro has a parameter named data which you did not provide a value, or you provided an invalid value.  But there are many other possibilities.  Also be sure to start your debugging by starting with the first error (or warning) that appears in the log.  Often one problem will trigger more problems, so you always want to start with the first problem.

BASUG is hosting free webinars ! Check out recordings of our past webinars: https://www.basug.org/videos. Save the date for our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18 in Cambridge, MA. Registration opens in September.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Turn on the macro debugging option by running this line of code.

options mprint;

Then run the code again and copy the log as text and paste it into the window that appears when you click on the </> icon.

PaigeMiller_0-1663012019648.png

In the future, please do not show us errors without the rest of the log. Errors detached from the code that created it are not helpful.

--
Paige Miller
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

For using SAS macros you first need to compile the macro definition. This is done by running the code that's between %macro <name of the macro>;... and %mend;

Once the macro has been compiled you can use it. You call a macro by using %<name of the macro>

I've downloaded the macro from https://www.processmacro.org/download.html . The code contains the macro definition AND a sample macro call.

Here the sample macro call:

%process (data=test,activate=1);

Looking into the macro definition I find:

use &data;

I assume you called the macro without providing a value for macro parameter data= and though in the code the macro variable &data resolved to nothing which then caused the error due to a USE command without any table name.

29         %process (activate=1);
NOTE: IML Ready
NOTE: Line generated by the invoked macro "PROCESS".
29                          use &data;
                                     _

It appears that to use this macro you need training or at least access and a read of the documentation. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation