BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
geneshackman
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi all

Somewhere in my set up, sas 9.4 has a default of, when starting, look for specific folders.  When I click on the SAS icon, to start, i get errors that two specific folders can't be found. I'm not running any programs. I just click on the icon.

Any ideas of where to look at the sas set up?

Thanks

Gene

8 REPLIES 8
ballardw
Super User

Which folders?

Details matter.

geneshackman
Pyrite | Level 9

This was the error message I got. The only part that is important is "scchoit40". That was the name of the server we -were- using. We changed to a new server, with a different name. But, as I mentioned, I got this after I clicked on the SAS desktop icon. I did not run any program. I did not load any program. There is nothing in the editor box, completely empty.

so, somewhere, SAS has the default of looking at these folders at the start up. I need to find out where this default is so I can change it.

ERROR: Windows error code: 67 in hx_disk_access for
\\scchoit40\phig\PHIGDATA\otherfolder\AltModes.sas
, The network name cannot be found.
ERROR: Windows error code: 67 in hx_disk_access for
\\scchoit40\phig\PHIGDATA\otherfolder\checking.sas, The network name cannot be found.

ballardw
Super User

Sounds like your desktop is attempting to connect to the old server and your local install wasn't updated/modified correctly. Check with your SAS admin.

geneshackman
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for the suggestion. That might be one possibility, except that no one else in my group has that error come up. And it's checking for some very specific files, which no one else would be using. So it seems like it's something about -my- SAS. Is there any place in -my- sas, a default somewhere, that I can check, about what it does on start up? 

ballardw
Super User

Which version of SAS are you using?

I know roughly where the configuration information by default would be for SAS Foundation (or Base) but if you are connecting to a server then my knowledge base is much smaller.

You could try running:

Proc options;
run;

The log should show most of the configuration options and the values. See if any of the paths listed, or partial paths, match the problem cases and trace back the specific option that lists it.

I might suspect one of the library related options is involved but since there can be lot of stuff involved depending on which SAS modules you have access to I can't guess which one.

If you have an Autoexec.SAS file you may want to check that program file as well. If there are libraries set in code in that file you may be able to determine a path used ther.

geneshackman
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks very much for these suggestions! I appreciate your trying.

I ran the proc options, which had a lot of output. Unfortunately, i didn't see the path or parts of the path, in the output. I searched for an autoexec file, but didn't find one. 

Thanks again.

ballardw
Super User

The last thing I could suggest would be looking in the SAS registry. You could use something like

Proc registry list export ="<path to file>filename.txt";

run;

which will right a lot of junk to the text file. This dumps the entire SAS registry could be several 100 thousands lines of esoteric junk. But it is text and searchable for parts of that path or filename. Of course finding a path in a key doesn't tell you what it is, where it was set and why it was set. But you could, very carefully, remove the key (back up the registry first) if you find your problem paths.

geneshackman
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for another suggestion! I'm trying that out.

Gene

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation