BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
NewUsrStat
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi guys, 

how can I write in "if, then" statement: if a condition = x then columnx = wordC1 wordC2 wordC3 wordC4 wordC5 wordC6 in a compact way? Let say:

>           if condition = 0 then columnx = wordC1-wordC6         

Edit:

suppose to have the following: 

>            ID

>            6

>            6

>            6

>            2

>            2

>            2

>            2

>            1

>            1           

Desired output: 

>            out

>            wordC1

>            wordC2

>            wordC3

>            wordP1

>            wordP2

>            wordP3

>            wordP4

>            wordF1

>            wordF2

>         if ID = 6 then wordC* (from 1 to 3 because there are 3 rows having 6 in ID column)

>         if ID = 3 then wordP* (from 1 to 4 because there are 4 rows having 2 in ID column)

>         if ID = 1 then wordF* (from 1 to 2 because there are 2 rows having 1 in ID column)

Thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quentin
Super User

You can use a format (or similar) to store the mapping from ID= 1, 2,6 to C,P, F.  

Since your data are grouped by ID , you can use by-group processing to count records in each group.

So I think something like below should work, if I'm understanding what you want:

data have ;
  input id ;
  cards ;
;
run ;

proc format ;
  value type
   6='C'
   2='P'
   1='F'
  ;
run ;

data want ;
  set have ;
  by id notsorted ;

if first.id then _count=0 ;
  _count++1 ;

word=cats("word",put(id,type.),_count) ;

drop _count ;
run ;

proc print data=want ;
run ;

Returns:

Obs    id     word

1      6    wordC1
 2      6    wordC2
 3      6    wordC3
 4      2    wordP1
 5      2    wordP2
 6      2    wordP3
 7      2    wordP4
 8      1    wordF1
 9      1    wordF2

The Boston Area SAS Users Group (BASUG) is hosting our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18!
This full-day event in Cambridge, Mass features four presenters from SAS, presenting on a range of SAS 9 programming topics. Pre-registration by Oct 15 is required.
Full details and registration info at https://www.basug.org/events.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
NewUsrStat
Pyrite | Level 9
I edited the question with example to explain better the desired output
JosvanderVelden
SAS Super FREQ

Something like this?

data _null_;
   length column1 $256.;
   input var1 $ var2 $ var3 $ var4 $ var5 $ var6 $;
   if 1 then column1 = catx(" ", of var1-var6);
   put column1=;
   cards;
word1
word2
word3
word4
word5
word6
;
run;
ballardw
Super User

Where do the C  P and F come from? There is no obvious reason to insert those characters. Is there another rule you haven't mentioned.

I suggest you provide an actual example of your data set as I think there may be more than one or two things missing in your description. The data should be in the form of a working data step.

Instructions here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat... will show how to turn an existing SAS data set into data step code that can be pasted into a forum code box using the </> icon or attached as text to show exactly what you have and that we can test code against.

NewUsrStat
Pyrite | Level 9
Unfortunately they come from other calculations. I cannot change them. I have to use C, P and F.
Quentin
Super User

You can use a format (or similar) to store the mapping from ID= 1, 2,6 to C,P, F.  

Since your data are grouped by ID , you can use by-group processing to count records in each group.

So I think something like below should work, if I'm understanding what you want:

data have ;
  input id ;
  cards ;
;
run ;

proc format ;
  value type
   6='C'
   2='P'
   1='F'
  ;
run ;

data want ;
  set have ;
  by id notsorted ;

if first.id then _count=0 ;
  _count++1 ;

word=cats("word",put(id,type.),_count) ;

drop _count ;
run ;

proc print data=want ;
run ;

Returns:

Obs    id     word

1      6    wordC1
 2      6    wordC2
 3      6    wordC3
 4      2    wordP1
 5      2    wordP2
 6      2    wordP3
 7      2    wordP4
 8      1    wordF1
 9      1    wordF2

The Boston Area SAS Users Group (BASUG) is hosting our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18!
This full-day event in Cambridge, Mass features four presenters from SAS, presenting on a range of SAS 9 programming topics. Pre-registration by Oct 15 is required.
Full details and registration info at https://www.basug.org/events.
NewUsrStat
Pyrite | Level 9
Thank you very much! It is what I was looking for!
ballardw
Super User

@NewUsrStat wrote:
Unfortunately they come from other calculations. I cannot change them. I have to use C, P and F.

If they are calculated then you should share the calculation as that is needed as part of the solution of your question.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation