BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mikepark
Obsidian | Level 7

I am new to SAS and I would like to know the history of how it developed today to the present version.

Also, it would be helpful to understand why steps happen in the way that they do. I understand what is happening but not why behind what I am doing. Any suggestions are appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
You need to read about the PDV then for a data step, for what's happening in PROCs, that's mostly a black box, though the formula's are provided. For starting out, I would agree that you should start with the Little SAS book.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I'm not aware of any history of SAS that you can read. However, "The Little SAS Book" by Delwiche and Slaughter does try to explain, from the beginning, exactly how SAS works and how to write programs, and is worth having for a number of reasons if you are new to SAS.

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User
You need to read about the PDV then for a data step, for what's happening in PROCs, that's mostly a black box, though the formula's are provided. For starting out, I would agree that you should start with the Little SAS book.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation