BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Phoenix_LJ
Obsidian | Level 7

I saw "SCL program" when I learning SAS help. I want to know what "SCL program"  is ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

SAS Screen Control Language. 

It's one of the SAS languages but was never really widely used and must be seen as "obsolete" by now. As a SAS learner nothing you have to care about. Better concentrate on SAS9.4 and Viya/CAS.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

SAS Screen Control Language. 

It's one of the SAS languages but was never really widely used and must be seen as "obsolete" by now. As a SAS learner nothing you have to care about. Better concentrate on SAS9.4 and Viya/CAS.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

SAS renamed this language to SAS Component Language quite a while ago to reflect that it is now used commonly in Base SAS, including in SAS 9.4 and SAS Viya.

I, and many others, continue to use SCL statements and functions like EXIST, FEXIST, OPEN, CLOSE etc as they are very useful in Base SAS processing within DATA steps and SAS macro processing..

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@SASKiwi Valid point but.... do you still consider these commands as SCL or just as functions migrated to Base SAS Language?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Patrick - The current documentation now includes the SCL functions that work in Base SAS without differentiating their heritage. Six of one or half-dozen of the other?!

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

SAS SCL was widely used to write interactive, objected oriented, programs.

Many of SCL code is enabled now to be used within sas base and it is now considered as part of it.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation