BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SasStatistics
Pyrite | Level 9

I have learned some basic SAS Programming using SAS Studio. 

I will soon have to "go over" to SAS Viya and are wondering wether my studying of "Ordinary" SAS (In SAS Studio) is waste of time or is the syntax used the same?

For instance: 

Is it the same logic in SAS Viya as "Ordinary" SAS programming or is it different? In SAS Viya, do you for instance also use the ordinary Proc and Data steps? 

I realize that my question is vague but this is due to my understanding of it is currently not so great. But basically, the question is: 
1. How large will the transition from "Ordinary SAS" (Done in SAS Studio) to SAS Viya be?
2. If I know how to code in "Ordinary" SAS, will I have to "relearn" how to work in SAS Viya or is it just to go over and start working? 
3. Studying "Ordinary" SAS, is it waste of time if I will go over to SAS Viya soon?

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi @SasStatistics,

Good news! All of your learning in the SAS programming language will translate over to SAS Viya. Any code/procedures/techniques that you learn in a SAS 9.4 environment (using SAS Studio or anything else) will work exactly the same way in a SAS Viya environment.

In addition, SAS Viya has capabilities in CAS, the in-memory analytics server. You may find that some challenges/data are better suited to these methods, and you can apply those SAS Viya techniques as it makes sense for you -- but that is optional and can be done over time.

Chris

Learn from the Experts! Check out the huge catalog of free sessions in the Ask the Expert webinar series.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Hi @SasStatistics,

Good news! All of your learning in the SAS programming language will translate over to SAS Viya. Any code/procedures/techniques that you learn in a SAS 9.4 environment (using SAS Studio or anything else) will work exactly the same way in a SAS Viya environment.

In addition, SAS Viya has capabilities in CAS, the in-memory analytics server. You may find that some challenges/data are better suited to these methods, and you can apply those SAS Viya techniques as it makes sense for you -- but that is optional and can be done over time.

Chris

Learn from the Experts! Check out the huge catalog of free sessions in the Ask the Expert webinar series.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation