BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sasone
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,
In SAS University Edition, I want to run Pinnacle21C CLI, R files, Python files, Batch files ,DDE and VBScrists,
by using X commands, Pipe engine, call system() or %sysexec.
But SAS UE returns "ERROR: Shell escape is not valid in this SAS session.".
However the PROC HTTP works in SAS UE, the procedure cannot click .bat, .R, .py , .vbs files directly.
Are there any substitute methods in SAS UE?
Best regards, Sasone

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

SAS UE isn't designed for production usage, it's for learning purposes only and cannot be used for commercial purposes. If you're affiliated with an academic or research institution you can get a free or low cost full version that will not have any of these limitations. My university charges $50/year for the full license. 

@sasone wrote:

Hi,
In SAS University Edition, I want to run Pinnacle21C CLI, R files, Python files, Batch files ,DDE and VBScrists,
However the PROC HTTP works in SAS UE, the procedure cannot click .bat, .R, .py , .vbs files directly.
Best regards, Sasone

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

SAS UE isn't designed for production usage, it's for learning purposes only and cannot be used for commercial purposes. If you're affiliated with an academic or research institution you can get a free or low cost full version that will not have any of these limitations. My university charges $50/year for the full license. 

@sasone wrote:

Hi,
Best regards, Sasone

sasone
Quartz | Level 8

I understood that I could use SAS UE only for an academic or research purpose.
I will not use XCMD or DDE technologies by using SAS UE or SAS OnDemand at all in future.

Reeza
Super User

That is your choice.

EDIT: DDE isn't something that should be used for development anyways anymore. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation