BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
zhbin
Calcite | Level 5

I use SAS University Edition on my Mac.

I am running a big file about 27G now. My code run well yesterday when dealing with a 24G big data file.

Here is my code: (hg01merged is the input big data)

libname HG '/folders/myfolders/';
options user = HG;

proc sort tagsort data=_temp0.hg01merged out=hg.newmm reverse;
by party_id company country exp_imp shipment tel;
run;

Today I encounter this problem but it worked well yesterday.

ERROR: Insufficient space in file WORK.'SASTMP-000000031'n.UTILITY.
ERROR: File WORK.'SASTMP-000000031'n.UTILITY is damaged. I/O processing did not complete.

But it does not work.

The remaining space in my share folder is about 152G on my Mac which should be enough. Can anyone help me out of this? Thank you so much.
7 REPLIES 7
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

University Edition is a learning tool with limited internal space, and since WORK is inside the virtual machine, it is limited.

At some point, even the tagsort utility file will exceed that limit.

Try to assign a USER library on your shared folder (if USER is present, SAS will use it instead of WORK).

Are you sure that what you do does not violate the UE license agreement?

zhbin
Calcite | Level 5

I already assign the user, but it's so strange the error shows that it was working on WORK library.

options user = '/folders/myfolders/';

zhbin
Calcite | Level 5

It doesn't help. The error still exists.

zhbin
Calcite | Level 5

It's truly for study usage. I am writing my academic paper which has to process such large data. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

In that case, your tutors need to get you a SAS On Demand for Academics access, where such data sizes can be processed; or they give you an account for the university's SAS environment.

You cannot do this with the locally installed SAS UE.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation