BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MSusenbach
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am working through the SAS Programming 1: Essentials Training and I am in lesson 2: Accessing Data and I am trying to complete the first activity.

Write a PROC CONTENTS step to generate a report of the storm_summary.sas7bdat table.

• SAS Studio: Specify the path to your EPG1V2/data folder and the full name of the table.
  • Enterprise Guide: Specify &path and the full name of the table.

I checked the answer 

proc contents data="FILEPATH/storm_summary.sas7bdat";
run;

This is the code I inputted

PROC CONTENTS DATA="C:\Users\admin\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\EPG1V2\data\storm_summary.sas7bdat";
run;

And this is what I am getting back in the Log 

1 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
73 PROC CONTENTS DATA="C:\Users\admin\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\EPG1V2\data\storm_summary.sas7bdat";
ERROR: The physical file name "C:\Users\admin\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\EPG1V2\data\storm_summary.sas7bdat" is too long.
74 run;

I have doubled checked and this is the file path and I cannot figure out what the problem is.
Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

It looks like you are using SAS University edition. That does not see the Windows drive as it is a Unix based system that only sees the folders set by the virtual machine you are working in.

The path is probably more like '/folders/myfolder/EPG1V2/data/storm_summary.sas7bdat'

AND is case sensitive. So you may need to check your file paths from inside the SAS session.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

It looks like you are using SAS University edition. That does not see the Windows drive as it is a Unix based system that only sees the folders set by the virtual machine you are working in.

The path is probably more like '/folders/myfolder/EPG1V2/data/storm_summary.sas7bdat'

AND is case sensitive. So you may need to check your file paths from inside the SAS session.

MSusenbach
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you ballardw,

That worked perfect now. I will have to remember that going forward.

Now I can continue on my learning experience.

Much appreciated.

jdeal5
Calcite | Level 5

Just something I figured out.  I'm sure it is in the literature somewhere, but if you right-click on the folder and go to properties, the complete path to that folder is presented in the location field.  That helped me reduce my typos, some...

Shark1827
Calcite | Level 5
When using SAS EG, you will be required to use the folder path that was generated while performing the “setting up steps”. You can rerun the autoexec program and fetch the path from results->physical name.
SaiSumanthVanka
Calcite | Level 5

To find the location in the virtual environment which is the SAS session here, we need to select the file in the servers and folders tab and click on the "file properties" icon above.

The location would be something like '/home/u58******/EPG1V2/data/storm_summary.sas7bdat'. Here u58***** is user id given to each individual.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation