BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
user927
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am attempting to create individual descriptive tables for a number of binary variables in my dataset. I've created the below proc sql code to generate the tables in the way that I would like them to look (see attached image for view of resulting table used for a binary variable named 'offerhdhp_any'). They need to include the variable name, variable label, value format, variable value, count (unweighted), count (weighted), percent (unweighted), and percent (weighted).

I would like to generate this table for a list of similar binary variables in my dataset. Is there a way for this proc sql code to reference a list of variables instead of one single variable? If the answer is to use arrays, I would benefit from an example of how to use array within proc sql. 

Thank you very much for your help and your time.

Proc sql;
Create table temp2 as 
Select "OfferHdhp_Any" as VariableName, OfferHdhp_Any as ValueFormat, OfferHdhp_Any as VarValue format=3.0, 
count(*) as N_Unweighted format=comma10., sum(firmwgt) as N_Weighted format=comma10., 
count(OfferHdhp_Any)/(select count(OfferHdhp_Any) from temp)*100 as Percent_Unweighted /*format=percent8.2*/
From temp
Group by OfferHdhp_Any;
Create table temp3 as
Select VariableName, _LABEL_ as VariableLabel, ValueFormat, VarValue,-cmiss(VarValue)+1 as ValuePresent, N_Unweighted, N_Weighted, Percent_Unweighted 
From temp2
Inner join temp_labels
On temp2.VariableName=temp_labels._NAME_
order by VarValue; 
Create table temp4 as
Select VariableName, VariableLabel, ValueFormat, VarValue, N_Unweighted, N_Weighted, Percent_Unweighted, 
ValuePresent*N_Weighted / (sum(ValuePresent * N_Weighted))*100 as Percent_Weighted 
From temp3;
quit;

proc print data=temp4; run;
2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User
Can you convert your code to proc means instead? You cannot use an array within SQL so that would become a macro at best. But you can actually get what you want more easily from PROC MEANS + PROC CONTENTS, which will also do all variables at once.

Reeza
Super User
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Library-Datasets-Summary-Macro-DATA-SPECS/ta-...

Maybe this already written macro is useful, just include only the variables you want analyzed?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation