BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
lauticisterna
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, thanks for bringing me this space to ask my doubts.

I want to make a regression model to explain one variable with 4 other macroeconomic variables.

I have month period data from 2011 to 2018 of the variable I want to explain, lets suppose Y.

And then I have four explanatory variables to explain the behaviour of the Y variable. Suppose Z, X, C and V.

I was thinking to use a VAR model, with the proc varmax model but I do not really know how it works on SAS.

If someone could help me it would be great.

Thank you so much!

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

Have you checked out the examples in the documentation?

Specific example

https://documentation.sas.com/api/docsets/etsug/15.1/content/etsug_code_varex01.htm?locale=en

List of all examples

https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=etsug&docsetVersion=15.1&docsetTarget=etsug_varmax_examples....

They seem to be exactly what you're trying to do. 

@lauticisterna wrote:

Hi, thanks for bringing me this space to ask my doubts.

I want to make a regression model to explain one variable with 4 other macroeconomic variables.

I have month period data from 2011 to 2018 of the variable I want to explain, lets suppose Y.

And then I have four explanatory variables to explain the behaviour of the Y variable. Suppose Z, X, C and V.

I was thinking to use a VAR model, with the proc varmax model but I do not really know how it works on SAS.

If someone could help me it would be great.

Thank you so much!

lauticisterna
Calcite | Level 5

Hello thank you so much for your answers!

I have already checked those examples. The examples are pretty good for illustrative and operational objectives. The problem is that there is no explanation about the lags selection, or any statistical significance. Also the example of US does not show the p-value for the Dickey-Fuller test for testing stationarity.

But I think that maybe I can handle with those examples.

Anyway, thank you so much for the quick respond!

Reeza
Super User
That's because those are not typically part of the regression exactly, they're part of the initial analysis ahead of time and belong to other procs. PROC AUTOREG and TIMESERIES can help with those. See their examples.
lauticisterna
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Reeza! One last question, Do you know an specific proc for find the lags for a var model? I couldn't find it in the proc time series and autores.

Autoreg was great for granger causality.

Thanks again and sorry for bothering!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation