BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Demographer
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I use SAS University Edition. In the left menu, I deleted by mistake all files in "My folders", thinking it was "Library". I thus lost the *.sas file. Is there a way to recover it? I don't see any trash bin.

3 REPLIES 3
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The virtual machine on which University Edition runs is a UNIX, and therefore respects its user and assumes that said user knows what he/she's doing (if irony is found, you may keep it). It does not offer the "Trash Bin" functionality found on desktop systems like Windows or Mac/OS (or the more advanced GUIs on Linux, where such functionality is available for their file managers, but not the commandline).

It is a good idea to have some kind of backup mechanism that saves the contents of the shared folder to a different location, if you have critical data in there.

I just verified on my UE on a MacBook that deleting a file in UE does not move it to the Mac's Trash Bin, it deletes it for good.

Demographer
Pyrite | Level 9

So you are saying there is just no way to recover anything, even if I didn't close the machine?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Demographer wrote:

So you are saying there is just no way to recover anything, even if I didn't close the machine?

Yes. The delete is done immediately on the filesystem.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation