BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Residentx10
Quartz | Level 8

Some of the SAS Documentation requires an access key to view. When I start a trial will I get an access key to view during my trial?

9 REPLIES 9
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Which SAS product are you trying to see the doc for? Typically only 'sensitive' product doc is password-protected. I suggest you contact your SAS account manager if you are evaluating a SAS product that has password-protected documentation.

Residentx10
Quartz | Level 8

1. What do you define as sensitive?

2. A trial is public, why do I need to contact a sales rep? Sas people only work 4 days a week...

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Products relating to Anti-Money Laundering or Fraud for example. You don't want fraudsters knowing how software to detect them works.

2. A trial is public, why do I need to contact a sales rep? Sas people only work 4 days a week...

I assumed that you as a potential customer (or on behalf of a potential customer) of SAS have requested a software trial through a SAS account manager. That same contact can help with a password. Do you have a different meaning for "SAS trial"? SAS staff at our local office work 5 days a week 🙂

Are you confusing software licence with documentation password? If trialing SAS you typically get a licence that only works for the trial period, say a month or two. The documentation password is just for accessing the documentation. 

Residentx10
Quartz | Level 8

Products relating to Anti-Money Laundering or Fraud for example. You don't want fraudsters knowing how software to detect them works.

Most crimes are done by or with insiders. Software will never stop that. I'm going to ignore this comment. I will reference Fraud Magazine, https://www.fraud-magazine.com/fm-home.aspx

I assumed that you as a potential customer (or on behalf of a potential customer) of SAS have requested a software trial through a SAS account manager. That same contact can help with a password. Do you have a different meaning for "SAS trial"? SAS staff at our local office work 5 days a week

Are you confusing software licence with documentation password? If trialing SAS you typically get a licence that only works for the trial period, say a month or two. The documentation password is just for accessing the documentation. 

Sales staff steal a day unofficial at SAS. They just don't work and nobody says anything. You should put that fraud detector to use on SAS, lol.

About the software license comment. I can activate a trial without a sas sale staffer, right? Is there a list to find the sales staffer that serves my region online?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

About the software license comment. I can activate a trial without a sas sale staffer, right? Is there a list to find the sales staffer that serves my region online?

Not in my experience. Any SAS trial I've ever been involved with requires human intervention that involves a software order that you need to download. I suggest you check your local SAS office's website. If you are an existing SAS customer then you should already have an account manager.

EDIT: There are free versions of SAS available online if you are just learning. Details here: SAS Software for Learning

Most crimes are done by or with insiders. Software will never stop that. I'm going to ignore this comment. I will reference Fraud Magazine, https://www.fraud-magazine.com/fm-home.aspx

In the industry I work in most fraud is external - we have whole departments working on detecting and preventing fraud. Anti-fraud and AML software is most definitely required and is indeed compulsory.

Residentx10
Quartz | Level 8

That's not true because I've done many trials but I'll let you think that and close this thread...

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Residentx10 So how do they do trials in your country - yours could be different to mine? I'm only going by my experience in my country and I've been involved in many trials also.

Residentx10
Quartz | Level 8

A trial is a trial. You sign up, kick the tires and THEN a sales rep contacts or you transition to monthly payments.

The issue I have with sas was the first trial I didn't pay attention to reference key for the documentation so I don't know how this works. Is it emailed or automatic activated during trial and then expires. I just don't know....

SASKiwi
PROC Star

A trial is a trial. You sign up, kick the tires and THEN a sales rep contacts or you transition to monthly payments.

That's the same for me too.

The issue I have with sas was the first trial I didn't pay attention to reference key for the documentation so I don't know how this works. Is it emailed or automatic activated during trial and then expires. I just don't know....

My recollection is that you get prompted to enter the documentation key when you try to open it (most SAS documentation is here: SAS Help Center: SAS Help Center: Welcome). That was some time ago so it's possible the process has changed. I suggest you open a Tech Support track to confirm the current process.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation