BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
erin3
Calcite | Level 5

Hi! When I import this excel file, the dates come in as a random set of numbers that aren't in date format or correct. Below is the import code I'm using. Can someone please correct me to get them to import as dates? MMddyy10. is preferred. 

proc import 
out=work.vax
datafile="\\myfile\Test_11OCT2021.xlsx"
dbms=xlsx replace;
getnames=yes;
run;

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@erin3 Some of us do download Excels so no hurt to still attach it.

As soon as you've got a character in a cell (like in row 4) SAS will read the data as character - and use the internal value for the dates stored as a character string.

Below one way how to convert these strings from Excel to a SAS Date value.

options validvarname=v7;

proc import 
  out=work.vax
  datafile="c:\temp\Test_11OCT2021.xlsx"
  dbms=xlsx replace;
  getnames=yes;
run;

data want;
  set vax;
  format DoB date9.;
  DoB=intnx('year',input(date_of__Birth,?? best32.),-60,'s')-1;
run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
erin3
Calcite | Level 5
(A sample of my data is attached)
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Some of us refuse to download Microsoft Office files because they are security threats. You can include a portion of the data in your reply as a SAS data step code (instructions)

But please, show us what you see when you say "the dates come in as a random set of numbers that aren't in date format or correct". What happens if you assign a format to these values in SAS? Do they look correct then?

--
Paige Miller
erin3
Calcite | Level 5

Oh, I had no idea! Okay, here is the data from the spreadsheet: 

idDate of
Birth
103/19/1998
204/15/2004
302/20/1986
4-
510/11/1995
604/29/1978
705/09/1998
809/01/1972
910/28/1998
1009/21/1998
1110/10/1990
1209/05/1995

Then the dates show up this way in SAS. 

erin3_0-1634508468768.png

Any thoughts? 

Many thanks!

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@erin3 Some of us do download Excels so no hurt to still attach it.

As soon as you've got a character in a cell (like in row 4) SAS will read the data as character - and use the internal value for the dates stored as a character string.

Below one way how to convert these strings from Excel to a SAS Date value.

options validvarname=v7;

proc import 
  out=work.vax
  datafile="c:\temp\Test_11OCT2021.xlsx"
  dbms=xlsx replace;
  getnames=yes;
run;

data want;
  set vax;
  format DoB date9.;
  DoB=intnx('year',input(date_of__Birth,?? best32.),-60,'s')-1;
run;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Actually the digit strings you see in the character variable represent the number that EXCEL uses to represent that date, not the number SAS would use to represent the same date.

In most cases EXCEL uses 1900 as the basis date instead of 1960 like SAS.  Do you just need to add the SAS date '30DEC1899'd to the value to adjust for this difference.  You will end up with a smaller number since 1900 is before 1960 so its date values are negative.  The reason to use Dec 30th instead of Jan 1 is because of difference in whether to count from zero or one and Excel treats 1900 as a leap year (which it was not).

DoB=input(date_of__Birth,?? 32.) + '30DEC1899'd ;
  format DoB date9.;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation