ldixon
Calcite | Level 5

Example code

PROC APPEND BASE=CSM_RET.CAMPAIGN_HISTORY_ECM_BACKUP
DATA=CAMPAIGN_HISTORY_16Dec19
FORCE;
RUN;

SAS LOG

NOTE: Appending WORK.CAMPAIGN_HISTORY_16DEC19 to CSM_RET.CAMPAIGN_HISTORY_ECM_BACKUP.
NOTE: There were 125756 observations read from the data set WORK.CAMPAIGN_HISTORY_16DEC19.
NOTE: 125756 observations added.
NOTE: The data set CSM_RET.CAMPAIGN_HISTORY_ECM_BACKUP has . observations and 10 variables.
NOTE: PROCEDURE APPEND used (Total process time):

This code is being run locally and is submitted to a SQL database.  Can anyone advise why this is happening and alternatives code?

I have been running a data set proceedure previously but due to the size of the data set (1637525 observations).  I was looking to used an alternative function and I had hoped proc append would be the solution.

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@ldixon 

Ehhmm... What's the problem? Everything appears to work as it should.

Is the Note "has . observations" bothering you. If so then that's not an issue but what you get as SAS Note when appending to database tables (because this information is not available from a database table without executing Select Count(*) but it is available from SAS tables as a table attribute).

This only means that SAS doesn't know how many rows your database table has.

Proc Append is the right way for appending data to a table. When appending to a database table then you might want to investigate libname options INSERTBUFF and DBCOMMIT to improve performance.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation