BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Stanley3
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I am running the following macro

%macro geomeans (data=, outcome=);

%let total_vars = %sysfunc (countw (&outcome) );
	%do i = 1 %to &total_vars;
		%let selected_var=%scan (&outcome, &i);

ods output estimates=geomeans&i; 
			proc genmod data=&data;
				class brinda15 / param = glm;
     			model &outcome = brinda15 / type3 dist=normal ;
						estimate "Overall estimate &outcome brinda15 =0" intercept 1 brinda15 1 0  /exp; 
						estimate "Overall estimate &outcome brinda15 =1 " intercept 1 brinda15 0 1  /exp; 
			run;
		ods output close;
I call the macro with the following code:
%geomeans (data=db, outcome=var1 var2 var3)
It works only for the first variable (it doesn't matter which one it is), but for the other variables I the error message below 
Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 6.32.33 PM.png
In case it matters, my outcomes are continuous and ln transformed.
Any tips of how to fix this are welcome! 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Based on extensive macro language experience, but zero genmod experience:

It is unusual to create the macro variable &SELECTED_VAR but then never use it.  Is it possible that your MODEL statement is supposed to refer to &SELECTED_VAR, not &OUTCOME?

The same could easily apply to the ESTIMATE statements as well (although that appears to be a label and wouldn't cause an error, just a labeling issue).,

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Astounding
PROC Star

Based on extensive macro language experience, but zero genmod experience:

It is unusual to create the macro variable &SELECTED_VAR but then never use it.  Is it possible that your MODEL statement is supposed to refer to &SELECTED_VAR, not &OUTCOME?

The same could easily apply to the ESTIMATE statements as well (although that appears to be a label and wouldn't cause an error, just a labeling issue).,

Stanley3
Fluorite | Level 6

thank you! that solved it. Now it's doing the cycle for all. my outcome variables. However, it is not working for a piece of my code below (which I omitted in the original question for simplicity). Using the mprint option, I can see that the macro-generated code does not seem to recognize &selected_var. I wonder if you know what could be wrong. 

%macro geomeans (data=, outcome=);

%let total_vars = %sysfunc (countw (&outcome) );
%do i = 1 %to &total_vars;
%let selected_var=%scan (&outcome, &i);

ods output estimates=geomeans&i; 
proc genmod data=&data;
class brinda15 / param = glm;
      model &selected_var = brinda15 / type3 dist=normal ;
estimate "Overall estimate &selected_var brinda15 =0" intercept 1 brinda15 1 0  /exp; 
estimate "Overall estimate &selected_var brinda15 =1" intercept 1 brinda15 0 1  /exp; 
by rural;
run;
ods output close;

data geomeans&i; set geomeans&i; 
variable='&selected_var'; 
lower=LBetaEstimate - stderr;                                                                                                                 
upper=LBetaEstimate + stderr;
if rural=0 then setting='urban'; else if rural=1 then setting='rural';
if (label='Exp(Overall estimate &selected_var brinda15 =0)') then iron_def=0; 
else if (label='Exp(Overall estimate &selected_var brinda15 =1)') then iron_def=1;
if iron_def=. then delete;
if iron_def=0 then iron_status='serum ferritin  ≥15 µg'; 
else if iron_def=1 then iron_status='serum ferritin <15 µg';
keep label iron_def variable LBetaEstimate StdErr lower upper rural iron_status setting;
run;

quit;
    %end;

%mend;
Log 
Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 9.32.47 PM.png

Quentin
Super User

Macro variables will not resolve inside of single quotes.  So change:

variable='&selected_var'; 

to:

variable="&selected_var"; 

and be sure to do the same for the quoted strings on your IF statements as well.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Stanley3
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you so much!! It runs great now

ballardw
Super User

Since your macro code is incomplete (missing and %end; and %mend; at the very least) we can't test your code.

Set

options mprint;

before running the macro. The LOG will show much more detail of the generated code.

Agree you have the wrong variable on the model statement.

Stanley3
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you, this is life-changing!!

Quentin
Super User

@Astounding  already gave the correct answer.  This is a nice example of why @ballardw's point of turning on the MPRINT option is critical to understanding errors that are generated by a macro.  There is nothing worse than having MPRINT turned off, and having an error in your log, and no idea what code is causing the error.  I think MPRINT should always be turned on.  I know some people like to turn off MPRINT (and even NOTES) sometimes in production code that they "know" works and this saves them from having a big log file, or speeds up the code some tiny amount because it doesn't have to write a big log file.  I was the taught that the value of having a useful log file far outweighs any benefits that come from having a small log file.

In this case, when you turn on MPRINT, you should see that your code is generating a MODEL statement like:

model ln_bmi_medians ln_waist_median_cm ln_waist_hip_median = brinda15 / type3 dist=normal ;

And that makes clear that you intended to have only one dependent variable on the MODEL statement, but have accidentally listed all three.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Stanley3
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you so much! I was not aware of the mprint option. I'll make sure to turn it on from now on.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation