BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GS2
Obsidian | Level 7 GS2
Obsidian | Level 7

Using SAS 9.4 

proc means data = volume3 min;
var pre_total_SL_count pre_Total_CL_count postop_total_sl_count_2wks postop_total_cl_count_2wks postop_total_sl_count_6wks postop_total_cl_count_6wks;
class study_id;
run;

I have 6 variables and I used a proc means to get the minimum of each variable. One example has a minimum of 12 12 12 12 11 11 (corresponding to the 6 variable above in the 'var' line). 

I used the following code to try and output the minimum of the minimum by a group id

proc means data = volume3 noprint nway min;
var pre_total_SL_count pre_Total_CL_count postop_total_sl_count_2wks postop_total_cl_count_2wks postop_total_sl_count_6wks postop_total_cl_count_6wks;
class study_id;
output out= count_min min = x_min;
run;

However, the code I used only return the minimum of the first variable (12 from the example above and I would need it to return the 11 as that is the smallest. The smallest will not always be in the last position, it could be in any of the 6 locations). 

Is it possible to output the minimum across all 6 variables? Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi @GS2  Okay the logic is simple, Let us know if you can follow the code below. I have created a sample for you and the solution

/*Sample HAVE*/
data have;
 call streaminit(12345);
 array v(20);
 do _iorc_= 1 to 50;
 do _n_=1 to dim(v);
  v(_n_)=int(rand('uniform',0,20));
 end;
 output;
 end;
run;
/*Solution*/
data want;
 set have;
 array t v:;
 do over t;
  if t=0 then call missing(t);
 end;
 want=min(of t(*));
 set have point=_n_;
run;

/*or*/

/*Solution*/
data want;
 set have;
 call sortn(of t(*));
 do over t;
  if t then do;
   min=t; 
   leave;
 end;
 end;
 set have point=_n_;
run;

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi @GS2  If you are lazy like me, try

output out=want min=/autoname;
GS2
Obsidian | Level 7 GS2
Obsidian | Level 7

@novinosrin That keeps all of the information in its own column but is there a way to pull out the smallest number that is not zero?

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Ah jeez, are you asking row min or column min? Can you please clarify?

Better if you could a clear sample of what you HAVE and WANT

GS2
Obsidian | Level 7 GS2
Obsidian | Level 7

I have the data classed by an ID. So I have 6 different minimums (1 for each variable) per ID and I want to pull out just the smallest non-zero minimum. Is there a good method to do that? I attached an image of what I have. The code I attached produces only the minimum of the first variable. I want the minimum of the each group as long as it is not zero. 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@GS2 wrote:

@novinosrin That keeps all of the information in its own column but is there a way to pull out the smallest number that is not zero?

Please give an example or clarification. The smallest number that is not zero could be -999 which could be smaller than all the positive numbers and is certainly not zero.

--
Paige Miller
GS2
Obsidian | Level 7 GS2
Obsidian | Level 7

The data I have is 0 to 20 so I need the smallest non-zero across the 6 variables. 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You could answer directly the question from @novinosrin in which he said:

Ah jeez, are you asking row min or column min? Can you please clarify?

Many of us will not download Microsoft Office files as they can be security risks; so we cannot see the data you posted. The preferred method to post data for a SAS problem is: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat...

--
Paige Miller
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi @GS2  Please post a clear sample. Okay let me do that for you. 

Do you have something like this?

Var1 var2  var3 var4 var5 var6
1 2 3 4 5 6
0 1 2 3 4 5

the first row min=1

and 2nd row min=1 i.e here you don't consider 0.

Am i right?

@PaigeMiller  Sir agreed, AUTONAME is a beautiful option 🙂

GS2
Obsidian | Level 7 GS2
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes you are correct. 

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Hi @GS2  Okay the logic is simple, Let us know if you can follow the code below. I have created a sample for you and the solution

/*Sample HAVE*/
data have;
 call streaminit(12345);
 array v(20);
 do _iorc_= 1 to 50;
 do _n_=1 to dim(v);
  v(_n_)=int(rand('uniform',0,20));
 end;
 output;
 end;
run;
/*Solution*/
data want;
 set have;
 do over t;
  if t=0 then call missing(t);
 end;
 want=min(of t(*));
 set have point=_n_;
run;

/*or*/

/*Solution*/
data want;
 set have;
 call sortn(of t(*));
 do over t;
  if t then do;
   min=t; 
   leave;
 end;
 end;
 set have point=_n_;
run;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I assume you included the extra SET statement to re-read the observation so that any zeros that were converted to missing are reset back to zero.  Note that for this problem there was no need to include the POINT= option on the second SET statement.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Thank you sir @Tom  Oops how silly i was. Cheers for correcting me and can't appreciate enough. I mean it 🙂

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Nothing lazy about it. That's why SAS added the autoname= option, as a method to reduce typing.

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

For this particular question you either 1) post process the data

proc means data=sashelp.stocks noprint nway ;
   class stock;
   var open high low close adjclose;
   output out=work.summary min=;
run;

data work.mins;
   set work.summary;
   minval = min(open, high, low, close, adjclose);
run;

2) transpose your data so the values hidden in the variable names are actual values. then summarize the Value without the time information. Your variable names apparently contain at least two pieces of information, whatever SL and SL refer to and a time point: Pre, 2wks and 6wks. Each of those for most modeling and reporting processes would work much better as additional variables. Then your response would be

Proc means data=transposed min;

var count;

class study_id;

run;

Then if you ever wanted to know something about the SL/CL or time frame only use the appropriate class variable.

Or even get all the likely needed summaries at one time:

Proc summary data=transposed;

class study_id SLCL time;

var count;

output out=work.summary  min=;

run;

the _type_ variable would indicate the min across all the data, within each of study_id, SLCL, or time, and the combinations of study/SLCL, study/Time, SLCL/time and study/SLCL/Time

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation