BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ashmatt
Calcite | Level 5

Hello Everyone, 

I am trying to configure an ODBC to SQL Server on my current SAS Server, but I have been met with an error as seen below .Error.PNG

This is the first time I am trying to configure an ODBC to SQL Server and I have scoured the internet for a solution to this error, with a lot of different solutions relating to the following,

1. Enabling TCP/IP stack for SQL server.

2. Checking windows firewall settings and ports. 

3. Checking the connectivity of current SAS Server to SQL Server etc.

I can't seem to understand what could be the issue, however I have been trying to connect to a SQL Server from a machine that does not have SQL Server management Studio or any other SQL application installed on it (It does however have an ODBC SQL driver on it). 

Do I need the SQL client setup on my SAS Server before creating an ODBC to SQL ?

2 REPLIES 2
AjmalFarzam
SAS Employee

Hi,

Only the ODBC SQL Driver is required, and the SQL client is not necessary.

The error message suggests a problem with the secure connection. Do you have the right connection information? Double-check the port number in particular. 

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

ashmatt
Calcite | Level 5
Yes I have all the right connection information,
1. Server Name
2. Username
3. Password.
I can also confirm that my SAS server can reach the SQL server.
What I will try is checking the port information on the SQL server and double checking whether due to any firewall settings my connection request is not going .
Will keep you posted.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation