BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
chamgrl007
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I am following Demo Step p102d02.sas, to create libref in libraries named XLSTORM. Its there but no tables?

*Complete the OPTIONS statement;
options validvarname=v7;

*Complete the LIBNAME statement;
libname xlstorm xlsx "EPG194/data/storm.xlsx";

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
heffo
Pyrite | Level 9

The libname in that demo has a macro variable path that should point to something useful. When you don't have anything like C: or // or \\ in the beginning of the path of the library, SAS will assume that you want it in the default path. 

The default path differs with what product you are using. But most likely SAS will look in the wrong place for your file. 

So, find the file and use that folder path. 

NB! Make sure that the SAS server can see that path. So, if you run SAS on the server, then SAS will not see your local disk. So, do not use C: or similar if the server is not on the same computer. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
heffo
Pyrite | Level 9

The libname in that demo has a macro variable path that should point to something useful. When you don't have anything like C: or // or \\ in the beginning of the path of the library, SAS will assume that you want it in the default path. 

The default path differs with what product you are using. But most likely SAS will look in the wrong place for your file. 

So, find the file and use that folder path. 

NB! Make sure that the SAS server can see that path. So, if you run SAS on the server, then SAS will not see your local disk. So, do not use C: or similar if the server is not on the same computer. 

chamgrl007
Fluorite | Level 6

All that time, I thought I was using full path, but wasn't. I did this instead /"folders/myfolders/EPG194/data/storm_summary";

Thank you for your help

Reeza
Super User

So excel files can be tricky because the libname will always exist. This is because a libname in this case can be used to either read data or write data. So if the file doesn't exist, SAS thinks that you want to create it and it assigns the library. If the file is supposed to exist and this isn't part of the lesson you're supposed to follow along with then my guess is you didn't quite do the set up correctly. Has any other data sets not worked in the courses? Did you follow the setup instructions exactly when setting up the data and those have worked so far?

@chamgrl007 wrote:

Hello,

I am following Demo Step p102d02.sas, to create libref in libraries named XLSTORM. Its there but no tables?

*Complete the OPTIONS statement;
options validvarname=v7;

*Complete the LIBNAME statement;
libname xlstorm xlsx "EPG194/data/storm.xlsx";

chamgrl007
Fluorite | Level 6

All that time, I thought I was using the full path, /EPG194/data. But I wasn't, so I corrected with this instead. "/folders/myfolders/EPG194/data/storm_summary";

Thank you for your help.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation