BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AprilR
Calcite | Level 5

Hello All-

I am trying to write a new variable in a data set. From my research it says I need to use the 'data' command and 'set' but I am getting an error. My current data set is called middata.her and I am trying to make a new variable named ICENTERED that calculates the deviation of a variable from the sample mean. Here is my code:

libname middata '/folders/myfolders/';
data ICENTERED
set middata.HER;
run;

Here is the error

ERROR 56-185: SET is not allowed in the DATA statement when option DATASTMTCHK=COREKEYWORDS. Check for a missing semicolon in the
DATA statement, or use DATASTMTCHK=NONE.

I am not sure what that error means because every tutorial says to use "Set"
3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

You are missing a semicolon:

data ICENTERED; * <=== here;
set middata.HER;
run;

Reeza
Super User

Someone else has provided the answer, but I wanted to point out the SAS tutorial video's which cover these types of topics. 

This specific one covers new variables:

https://video.sas.com/detail/videos/sas-analytics-u/video/4573023399001/creating-a-new-column-in-sas...

The general ones are here:

https://video.sas.com/category/videos/sas-analytics-u#category/videos/sas-analytics-u/0

@AprilR wrote:

Hello All-

I am trying to write a new variable in a data set. From my research it says I need to use the 'data' command and 'set' but I am getting an error. My current data set is called middata.her and I am trying to make a new variable named ICENTERED that calculates the deviation of a variable from the sample mean. Here is my code:

data ICENTERED
set middata.HER;
run;

Here is the error

ERROR 56-185: SET is not allowed in the DATA statement when option DATASTMTCHK=COREKEYWORDS. Check for a missing semicolon in the
DATA statement, or use DATASTMTCHK=NONE.

I am not sure what that error means because every tutorial says to use "Set"

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The answer is RIGHT THERE BEFORE YOUR EYES:

Check for a missing semicolon in the DATA statement

That is one of the best and most comprehensive ERROR messages I have ever seen in SAS, and it shows the exact cause.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation