BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
chrissowden
Obsidian | Level 7

Capture.PNG

I am trying to understand  what a  negative number in the Asym 95% in the  Difference row.

2 REPLIES 2
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @chrissowden,

The risks in the two groups (row 1 and row 2 in the PROC FREQ cross tabulation) seem to be fairly similar: Assuming the true risks were equal to the average empirical risk in your sample (0.08 for column 1, see "Total" row in the upper table), one would expect about 0.08*538≈43 and 0.08*675=54 "cases" in row 1 and row 2, respectively. (I hope I guessed the numbers 538 and 675 correctly.) The slightly different observed numbers, 39 (i.e. 4 less) and 58 (4 more), can be due to chance. This is what I would conclude from the fact that zero is contained in the confidence interval for the risk difference: [-0.0439, 0.0170]. An interval around zero has necessarily a negative lower limit (and a positive upper limit). So, even though the observed relative frequency of "cases" in row 2 was slightly (by 1.34 percentage points) higher than in row 1, it cannot be ruled out that the true (column 1) risk in row 1 is higher. Your data don't provide enough evidence to decide this.

Ksharp
Super User

That is Confidence Interval for diff of Risk, which contains ZERO , i.e. You can't reject H0: Risk in Row1=Risk in Row2

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation