BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jaiganesh
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

In one of the interview, I've been asked below question, I would appreciate if someone would dignify with Answer.

"SAS has requested first 100 observations from Database using pass through , However only 90 has come out , Now from where we can begin the investigation" ?

I think we can run the trace ? if yes what is the process for it  ?

Regards,

Jai

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

Examine code used for the extract.

Look for any filters such as WHERE clause may reduce the expected results because of values of variables,

or GROUP BY creating summaries, joins or similar things that could reduce the data.

Also ensure that the source actually has 100 or more records to pull from.

Personally I would suggest (politely in an interview) that the question needs to be rephrased.

SAS has pulled out first 100 observations from Database using pass through

That phrasing implies that the 100 were actually pulled. If the question was more like:

SAS requested the first 100 observations from Database using pass through

Then the question makes more sense to me.

jaiganesh
Obsidian | Level 7

Your right, I've changed the Word from Pulled to Requested, So other people would not get confuse.

Regards,

Jai

jaiganesh
Obsidian | Level 7

Actually interviewer was more keen to know , from where the investigation can be start, Rather than the way we would fix them.

He was more emphasizing on Running the Trace, Please suggest with the process / options of running Trace.

Regards,

Jai

Ksharp
Super User
options sastrace=',,,d' sastraceloc=saslog;

proc sql;
SQL code
quit;
BrahmanandaRao
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Ksharp
I would say your are brilliant
Way of coding 👍

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation