BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
wubsy
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, I am looking for some help trying to match text between variables in the same row. Essentially, I am looking to see if a text string in one variable matches a string in several other variables. An example of my data is shown below. I want to see if the string in Var1 matches any of the strings in iVar1, iVar2, iVar3 with a flag variable by row. Is there a way to do this? It seems like it should be easy but I can't figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you for your time!

ID     Var1       Var2     Var3       iVar1      iVar2     iVar3        var1_flag

1      Charlie    Bravo    Alpha     Bravo     Alpha    Charlie          Y 

2      Alpha                   Charlie   Alpha     Charlie                        Y

3      Bravo                                 Charlie                                      N

4     Charlie     Bravo                  Bravo     Alpha    Charlie          Y

5      Alpha                                                                              N

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

You need to use two arrays here with the WHICHC function.

Here's a tutorial on using Arrays in SAS
https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/sas/seminars/sas-arrays/

data want;
set have;

var1_flag = whichc(var1, of iVar1-iVar3);

array _words(*) var1-var3;
arrays _search(*) ivar1-ivar3;
arrays _flags(*) var_flag1-var_flag3;

do i=1 to dim(_words);
_flags(i) = whichc(_words(i), of _search(*));
end;

run;

@wubsy wrote:

Hello, I am looking for some help trying to match text between variables in the same row. Essentially, I am looking to see if a text string in one variable matches a string in several other variables. An example of my data is shown below. I want to see if the string in Var1 matches any of the strings in iVar1, iVar2, iVar3 with a flag variable by row. Is there a way to do this? It seems like it should be easy but I can't figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you for your time!

ID     Var1       Var2     Var3       iVar1      iVar2     iVar3        var1_flag

1      Charlie    Bravo    Alpha     Bravo     Alpha    Charlie          Y 

2      Alpha                   Charlie   Alpha     Charlie                        Y

3      Bravo                                 Charlie                                      N

4     Charlie     Bravo                  Bravo     Alpha    Charlie          Y

5      Alpha                                                                              N

Ksharp
Super User

Using 'IN' operator of array.

data have;
input  ID    ( Var1       Var2     Var3       iVar1      iVar2     iVar3 ) ($);   
cards;
1      Charlie    Bravo    Alpha     Bravo     Alpha    Charlie  
;

data want;
 set have;
 array x{*} $ ivar1-ivar3;
 if var1 in x then var1_flag='Y';
  else var1_flag='N';
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation