BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
yellowcat
Fluorite | Level 6

I use Linux SAS 9.4 M2 in interactive and batch modes.

When using interactive SAS, I notice two things:

1. Sometimes it reverts to clearing all my code after submission (with the END key), other times, it retains code in the CODE window. I'm not sure why this is.

2. When the code is retained in the CODE window after submission, I am unable to select a region of code and submit only that. 

For example, One might have a data step to read a large CSV file and then I would be continually modifying a PROC FREQ to refine the output. 

I used to be able to select the PROC FREQ... RUN; section and submit only that iteratively. Now, I can only  submit EVREYTHING that is in the code window. 

I'm not sure what it is I need to change for either of these behaviors.

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

Caveat: I don't use Linux so this may not be the most helpful

The End key to submit data? That to me sounds like the Keys settings may have been changed. Or do you mean the F3 key that sends an End command? If so you might try the F8 key to submit code.

Or go to the KEYS menu (default F9) and look at the commands associated with the keys you are pressing.

Another thing, are you using the Enhanced Editor or the older Program Editor? The key behaviors can be different. If you are using a different editor window that could be the cause of changed behavior.

yellowcat
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Ballardw!

Yes, the mapping in my setup is a bit different, and I haven't bothered to update it.

Correct, I press the END key to submit/run a program. 

Only using the older Program Editor (because I'm using Linux SAS)

To clarify, I have two problems

1. Sometimes when I start Linux Interactive SAS, the program editor appears "smaller" and when I submit code, the Program Editor window DOES CLEAR. 

This is a bit annoying but I can recall last submitted code. fine.

2. When I submit the program, AND the Program Editor window does NOT clear, I USED TO be able to select a region of code (say just a PROC FREQ) and run only the highlighted code. As of a year or two ago, I'm not sure what changed, but I CANNOT highlight code and submit only that highlighted code. I'd like to fix this behavior.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

There's your issue:

@yellowcat wrote:

Hi Ballardw!

Yes, the mapping in my setup is a bit different, and I haven't bothered to update it.

Correct, I press the END key to submit/run a program. 

Only using the older Program Editor (because I'm using Linux SAS)

To clarify, I have two problems

1. Sometimes when I start Linux Interactive SAS, the program editor appears "smaller" and when I submit code, the Program Editor window DOES CLEAR. 

Get in the habit of running SAS with the -rsasuser option set so that SAS opens your SASUSER.PROFILE in READONLY mode.  Then when you have two SAS sessions running the second can still use YOUR settings and not some system wide default PROFILE that it creates in the WORK.PROFILE.

You can even add the option to your personal sasv9.cfg file in your home directory.

>more ~/sasv9.cfg
-logparm 'write=immediate'
-engine v9
-validvarname v7
-rsasuser
-nonews
-dmspgmlinesize 200
-workperms 755
SASKiwi
PROC Star

You haven't fully explained what your SAS interface is. Since you are using linux does that mean you remotely logon to linux in an X-windows session to bring up a SAS Windowing Environment interface? Or is it some other way? Posting a screenshot of your SAS session would be helpful.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation