BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
HFatTRI
Fluorite | Level 6

I've just updated SAS EG from 7.15 HF7 to 7.15 HF8. 

After the update I couldn't find my keyboard macros (abbreviations). 

I was thinking that if I find the folder where keyboard macros are stored I can restore it. But I can't find where the macros are saved and couldn't find any when searching in Windows for .kmf-files.

10 REPLIES 10
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

These macros are stored in the Windows registry.  Moving versions of EG should not have affected them. 

In the Windows Registry, I think you find these at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SAS Institute Inc.\Enhanced Editor\BIC_7.1\Editor Customizations

Chris

Learn from the Experts! Check out the huge catalog of free sessions in the Ask the Expert webinar series.
HFatTRI
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Chris. 

If they are stored in the Windows Registry, how can they have disappeared all of a sudden?

I don't even have admin rights on this computer, so should I ask our the admin if he has made changes to the registry?

Kind regards

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

A simple update for a hotfix release should not have affected these settings.  However, if the application was uninstalled and then reinstalled, it's possible that the uninstall process cleared your personalizations.

Even if you cannot launch REGEDIT on your own (due to permissions), you should be able to run this from a command prompt in Windows:

reg query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SAS Institute Inc.\Enhanced Editor\BIC_7.1\Editor Customizations" /s

Learn from the Experts! Check out the huge catalog of free sessions in the Ask the Expert webinar series.
HFatTRI
Fluorite | Level 6

When I run that code from the command prompt I can see the abbreviations that I just created.

Do you have any idea how my old abbreviations could have just disappeared and how to get them back?

Best

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I'm afraid that I can't answer how they were removed.  I don't think that the SAS update process would have done that.  I have abbreviations that I use, and I've never had them go missing like this.

As far as recovering them -- no way that I know of, unless your IT team routinely backs up your profile/Windows registry that you could recover.

HFatTRI
Fluorite | Level 6

It is very mysterious indeed. Thank you very much for your help, I will have to talk to our IT support.

Kayleah
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi HFatTRI, I had the same issue. Two days ago, I was able to use my keyboard macros and today (after the update), my keyboard macros had disappeard.

I had previously exported my macros into a .kmf file. So, I was able to search for ".kmf" in file explorer and re-import. However, I did have to re-assign all the keys.
If you had not previously exported your macros, I am not sure you will be able to retrieve them. If you have to recreate them, make sure you then take the steps to export them into a .kmf file to protect yourself from this next time.

Here is a link on how to export your macros:
http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Tips:Saving_some_or_all_of_your_keyboard_macros/abbreviations_in_on...

I hope it works out for you!
HFatTRI
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Kayleah, I had not backed up my keyboard macros but I'll be sure to do so in the future. 

Out of curiosity, did you lose your keyboard macros after a SAS update or not?

Kayleah
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi HFatTRI,
Yes, the macros did disappear directly after the most recent SAS update
HFatTRI
Fluorite | Level 6

That's interesting. Maybe we need to be extra careful to make backups before updates. 

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation