BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Abhiraj
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I am facing an issue with merging.

i have two data sets -

1) unmapped - having account numbers which are not mapped to any manager along with branch code (brcode)

2)managersFinal - this data set contains list of available managers along with their branch code. Since 1 manager can hold multiple accounts, therefore their names are repeated as many times.

other info:

• there are more than 100 branches - brcode ranges from 1-150
  • unmapped account can only be assigned to manager of same branch
  • output dataset should contain only those accounts which are mapped

managersfinal.PNG

unmapped.PNG

the code that i am trying but not working is - 

data assigned;
merge unmapped (in=a)  managersfinal (in=b);
by brcode;
if a;
run;

attached are images of datasets.

3 REPLIES 3
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

What do you mean by 'not working'? Given you posted data, what do you expect the result to look like? And what does your code give you?

Abhiraj
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I am attaching datasets i am working on and output i am getting. I will explain what output i need.

dataset unmapped - contains branch code(brcode) and account id which arent mapped

dataset managersFinal - contains list of managers who can be assigned those accounts. this dataset contains names of managers multiple times, indicating those many more accounts can be assigned to them.

dataset assigned - the output i am getting when i execute following data step - 

data icici.assigned;
merge unmapped (in=a)  managersfinal (in=b);
by brcode;
if  a and b ;
run;

issue with my output:

total observations for branch 1 in the unmapped dataset are 148

total managers that can be assigned account for   branch 1 are 366

so output dataset should contain only 148 observations for branch 1   

we need to merge datasets based on branch code value.

Expected output - 

fin

ballardw
Super User

So, what does the desired output look like?

What role do the Count, Emp_name,  Emp_Status or ECN variables in the assigned or managers data set actually play in this problem?

Hint: Reduce the problem example data to about 10 accounts in the  unmapped.

Reduce the Assigned and manager data set to a similar size, have such so that some of the "unmapped" will stay unmapped and some will be assigned.

A small enough example that you can manually create and demonstrate (show us) the desired data set.

ONLY show the variables actually used/ need in the input and output.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation