BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
HelenaB
Fluorite | Level 6

Good morning!

I found L18 Hunter Screening Design referred in an article that used JMP (in attachment). Can anyone clarify what type of design is this? I cannot found much about it in the literature.

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

It is a mixed-level fractional factorial design. It doesn't really matter what name it has, L18 or otherwise.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The JMP community has a separate discussion forum for JMP questions

You might want to ask your question there..

HelenaB
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for the suggestion! I already reposted the question in that discussion forum.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

L18 is a design that was popularized by Genichi Taguchi. It has one variable which is at three levels and the remainder are at two levels. It is orthogonal for main effects only, but interactions are partially confounded with main effects and with other interactions.

--
Paige Miller
HelenaB
Fluorite | Level 6

Paige Miller,

Thanks for your help. The definition that you gave is perfectly in accordance with the characteristics of the L18 Hunter screening Design that I found in the attached article. However, I also found this reference https://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/pri/section3/pri33a.htm that presents other definition for L18 Designs - 1 factor at two levels and seven factors at 3 levels. I would like to have your opinion on it.

Thank you again,

Helena

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

That L18 is 2 x 3^(7–5) design, which is orthogonal if you have main effects only. The interactions would be non-estimable, and highly confounded with main effects. I would not use this in the presence of interactions — except perhaps as a screening design to identify "active" factors, and even then one significant interaction can destroy the validity of the results from this design, this is a risk of all highly fractionated designs.

--
Paige Miller
HelenaB
Fluorite | Level 6

But we can say that L18 2 x 3^(7–5) design is a L18 fractional factorial design? 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

It is a mixed-level fractional factorial design. It doesn't really matter what name it has, L18 or otherwise.

--
Paige Miller
HelenaB
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you for your very helpful informations!
HelenaB
Fluorite | Level 6

Still regarding this answer: 

"It is a mixed-level fractional factorial design. It doesn't really matter what name it has, L18 or otherwise.

--
Paige Miller"

Is a L18 or other mixed-level fractional factorial design capable of generate a quadratic model, or just a main effects one? If yes, under which circunstances?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation