BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
wottma
Calcite | Level 5

Hi SAS-Community,

I have a date variable (informat ddmmyy10.) called hctzdate. I am trying to replace one specific date with a missing value (a '.'). In my example I would like to replace the date 03/01/2007.

How can I do that?

I tried:

data work.test1_hctz; set work.test_hctz;

if hctzdate ='03jan2007'd then hctzdate=.;

informat hctzdate ddmmyy10.;

run;

There wasn't an error in the log file, however nothing happened when I looked at the data in the viewtable. I am using SAS 9.4. Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot in advance 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@wottma wrote:

Hi SAS-Community,

I have a date variable (informat ddmmyy10.) called hctzdate. I am trying to replace one specific date with a missing value (a '.'). In my example I would like to replace the date 03/01/2007.

How can I do that?

I tried:

run;

There wasn't an error in the log file, however nothing happened when I looked at the data in the viewtable. I am using SAS 9.4. Can anyone help me?

Since we don't have your data, I'm going to guess that hctzdate is really a date/time value and not a date value. Can you show us a few UNformatted values of this variable?

--
Paige Miller
Reeza
Super User

In general your code looks correct so are you sure it didn't work?

You need to look at the type and format, the informat of a variable isn't particularly useful unless you're reading in the data. You should remove your INFORMAT statement or change it to a FORMAT statement. If you do have a datetime as suggested by @PaigeMiller  you can use the DATEPART() function to get just the date for the comparison. 

data work.test1_hctz; 

set work.test_hctz;

if hctzdate ='03JAN2007'd then hctzdate=.;

format hctzdate ddmmyy10.;

run;

@wottma wrote:

Hi SAS-Community,

How can I do that?

I tried:

run;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

SAS stores dates as the number of days. Perhaps your values are non-integers?  The date formats will ignore the fractional part of the value.

221  data test;
222    do x=.1,.5,.6;
223      date=today()+x;
224      put x= date=comma10.1 +1 date yymmdd10. ;
225    end;
226  run;

x=0.1 date=21,955.1  2020-02-10
x=0.5 date=21,955.5  2020-02-10
x=0.6 date=21,955.6  2020-02-10

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation