BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
janchinurchang
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm trying to generate reports with headers that repeat on each page. Why is this so difficult to do? Has no one at SAS ever dropped a stack of papers and tried to figure out which pages go with what report? I mean, isn't that the purpose of a header? Instead, I have to waste column space to include my initials on each page as well as a unique report identifier.

I'm not a programmer. I'm an end user and I have to say that SAS is the least user friendly product I've ever encountered. I just want to be able to enter report parameters and get a functional report without exporting into excel templates. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
janchinurchang
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm an end user and I have no idea what you're asking. All I know is that we switched from a software that generated completed reports to SAS. We've been exporting our data into Excel templates that I created and it takes our team 2-3 times longer just to generate reports to do our job. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The TITLE statement ought to do this for most output destinations. What SAS user interface and SAS output destination are you using?

--
Paige Miller
janchinurchang
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm an end user and I have no idea what you're asking. All I know is that we switched from a software that generated completed reports to SAS. We've been exporting our data into Excel templates that I created and it takes our team 2-3 times longer just to generate reports to do our job. 

ballardw
Super User

Each "page" of what? Some document types don't lend themselves to "page" very well.

If you use the appropriate ODS destination you can place page numbers as well, which I suspect would be more useful for keeping things in order.

So, provide some example code of the output you are creating and where you are sending it. If you are using one of the point-and-click interfaces then provide which one. They generally do have a method for showing the code created.

If you think SAS is unfriendly then you have not experienced much software yet. Personally I find Excel and similar to be the most dangerous because these often change the values of things entered and you may not notice, and when opening a different file type such as CSV can corrupt a lot of values without users being aware.

janchinurchang
Fluorite | Level 6
I agree with your point about Excel and that's why I want to move away from exporting data into Excel templates. We went from software that generated completed reports simply by entering a client ID and date ranges to this mess. I'm a nurse by training and I just want to be able to print out a usable report and do my job.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@janchinurchang wrote:
I agree with your point about Excel and that's why I want to move away from exporting data into Excel templates. We went from software that generated completed reports simply by entering a client ID and date ranges to this mess. I'm a nurse by training and I just want to be able to print out a usable report and do my job.

Its hard to advise since we don't really know how your report generation is done, and you are not a programmer. Perhaps there is someone at your company who can explain it to you, or have them come to this forum and explain it to us. Any solution I can think of requires some programming and knowledge of SAS.

--
Paige Miller
janchinurchang
Fluorite | Level 6

I have suggested that someone reach out to the SAS community but but they refuse to do so. I'm beyond frustrated because we were forced to change software and now we're stuck with inferior reports. Sorry for wasting your time. I'll go bang my head on the manager's office wall a bit more. 

ballardw
Super User

@janchinurchang wrote:

I have suggested that someone reach out to the SAS community but but they refuse to do so. I'm beyond frustrated because we were forced to change software and now we're stuck with inferior reports. Sorry for wasting your time. I'll go bang my head on the manager's office wall a bit more. 

Go talk to one of your managers that oversees this process.

Document how much time Each report takes with any reformatting or other time caused by this particular issue.

Turn that into a monetary value of the time spent.

Indicate that there is likely, from discussions on this forum, a simple solution but "they" refuse to investigate the options and you lack the technical experience or access to the report generator to make specific suggestions.

Money often talks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation