BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
hjjijkkl
Pyrite | Level 9

I have a code that is coded in .Z character and I would like to know what .Z means. 

if  .z < LD <= 80 then Test = 1;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @hjjijkkl,

Since .z is the largest of all (numeric) missing values in SAS (._ < . < .a < .b < ... < .z), the condition .z < LD is a convenient way to abbreviate not missing(LD), i.e., numeric variable LD has a non-missing value.

So your IF/THEN statement could also be written as

if not missing(LD) and LD le 80 then Test = 1;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User
It's called a special missing values and allows you the ability to have different types of missing, for example missing due to someone not answering a question is different than someone not answering a question because it's not applicable. Special missing allow you the ability to consider these separately or group them as needed.

You would have to understand how the data was collected for your specific data to know why it was used.
https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=9.4_3.5&docsetId=lrcon&docsetTarget=p1xr9f...

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

.z is a special missing value. There are 28 different missing values in SAS, the one you are probably familiar is represent by a dot. However, there is also .a, .b, ... ,.z and also ._

So whoever created this code intended .z to indicate missing with a special meaning.

--
Paige Miller
hjjijkkl
Pyrite | Level 9
Thanks! Now i know that .Z is a missing value but, what I dont get is what the person who created the code trying to say by (.z< LD). I am having hard time understanding "missing value < LD". its confusing
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @hjjijkkl,

Since .z is the largest of all (numeric) missing values in SAS (._ < . < .a < .b < ... < .z), the condition .z < LD is a convenient way to abbreviate not missing(LD), i.e., numeric variable LD has a non-missing value.

So your IF/THEN statement could also be written as

if not missing(LD) and LD le 80 then Test = 1;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation