BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
osbornejo
Obsidian | Level 7

I want to create a macro variable that contains multiple values to check against.  Example pseudocode:

%LET myCodes = [Not sure how to do this part];

/*Ideally &myCodes would return a list/array of the codes I wanted.  i.e. Code1, Code2,...*/

proc sql;

create table myTable as

select * from DataTable    /*Note:  Assume DataTable has a column named Code*/

where Code in &myCodes;

quit;

/pseudocode

What I am having trouble with is defining myCodes.  I had the thought of just defining it as

%LET myCodes = Code1 Code2 ...;

but that would just make myCode be equivalent to a single long string, correct?  I'd imagine that has the potential to cause problems.  Even if I separated them (e.g. 'Code1','Code2',...) my understanding is that I would just end up with a string that contains all the punctuation.

Am I misunderstanding something or is there a different technique to do this?

Edit: The Codes are alphanumeric (e.g. A1234). The values in myCodes will be entered by hand. I'm trying to filter a dataset for observations with alphanumeric CODE that matches one of the codes in myCodes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Quentin
Super User

Hi,

There are lots of ways to create a macro variable containing a list of values.  The easiest is to just type the list.  

I think your question is partly about how macro variables work.  The key thing to keep in mind is that macro variables are for text substitution.  You can assign a text value to a macro variable, and when the macro variable resolves it will substitute that text into the code.

Here's a valid SQL step with no macro variables

proc sql ;
  create table class as
  select * from sashelp.class
  where Name IN ("Mary" "John") 
;
quit ;

If you want to store the list of students' names in a macro variable, you could do it like:

%let myNames="Mary" "John" ;

proc sql ;
  create table class as
  where Name IN (&myNames) 
;
quit ;

When the PROC SQL step is compiling (or I guess being interpreted), the macro reference &myNames will resolve to "Mary" "John".  So both PROC SQL steps are exactly the same.

When you're starting to work with macro variables, the key is to remember that all they are doing is text substitution.  And when you start writing macros, the key is to remember that all they are doing is text generation.

Hope that helps,

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If CODE is a numeric variable then just use a space delimited list:

%let mycodes=1 3 5 ;
  where code in (&mycodes)

If CODE is a character variable then include quotes around the values:

%let mycodes='A' "B" 'C' ;
  where code in (&mycodes)

Are you planning to type the list of codes by hand? Or generate it from a dataset?

If you have the list in a dataset then use PROC SQL to generate the list into a macro variable.

For character values use the QUOTE() function to add the quotes.  No need to include the trailing spaces that SAS stores in its fixed length character variables.

proc sql noprint;
select code into :mycodes separated by ' ' from mylist;
select quote(trim(code)) into :mycodes separated by ' ' from mylist;
quit;

osbornejo
Obsidian | Level 7

@Tom  CODE is alphanumeric, and I'll be entering myCodes by hand.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

What are you intending to use the list for? There could be better ways to solve your use case if you explain what it is.

osbornejo
Obsidian | Level 7

@SASKiwi I'm trying to use it to filter a dataset for observations with alphanumeric CODE that matches one of the codes in myCodes.

Quentin
Super User

Hi,

There are lots of ways to create a macro variable containing a list of values.  The easiest is to just type the list.  

I think your question is partly about how macro variables work.  The key thing to keep in mind is that macro variables are for text substitution.  You can assign a text value to a macro variable, and when the macro variable resolves it will substitute that text into the code.

Here's a valid SQL step with no macro variables

proc sql ;
  create table class as
  where Name IN ("Mary" "John") 
;
quit ;

If you want to store the list of students' names in a macro variable, you could do it like:

%let myNames="Mary" "John" ;

proc sql ;
  create table class as
  where Name IN (&myNames) 
;
quit ;

When the PROC SQL step is compiling (or I guess being interpreted), the macro reference &myNames will resolve to "Mary" "John".  So both PROC SQL steps are exactly the same.

When you're starting to work with macro variables, the key is to remember that all they are doing is text substitution.  And when you start writing macros, the key is to remember that all they are doing is text generation.

Hope that helps,

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
osbornejo
Obsidian | Level 7

@Quentin  That's a helpful explanation, thank you.  I guess I'm too used to Python, R, Java, and the like, where the type of an object is more important.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@osbornejo wrote:

@Quentin  That's a helpful explanation, thank you.  I guess I'm too used to Python, R, Java, and the like, where the type of an object is more important.

The type of a variable in SAS code does make a difference.  That is why you need to place quotes around the values so the SAS interpreter will see them as string literals instead of variable names.

But the macro processor is not a programming language.  It is just as its name suggests a processor for expanding the text before it is passed onto the real language to be compiled/interpreted.  

Quentin
Super User
Exactly, the macro language does not have objects. And it does not know anything about SAS datasets or variables that exist in SAS datasets.

While we talk about "macro variable lists" and even "macro arrays" the values are always just text strings, and sometimes those text strings are useful to think of as a list or array. But that is all in the macro programmer's head. The macro language thinks everything is just text strings.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Rule #1 of macro development: start with working non-macro SAS code.

So you first need to write down the working SQL code for your condition. Once you have that, it will be obvious what has to go into the macro variable. Keep in mind that the macro preprocessor is just a text replacement tool.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 5 in conversation