BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ms2370
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

Please help. I've searched for the right answer to this but everything that I try doesn't work. I'm simply trying to import an excel spreadsheet (.xlsx, microsoft 365, 32-bit) into my SAS (v9.4). I'm quite a novice, so my go-to is the import wizard, but according to the posts I've found, I can't do that with the program versions I have. They recommended downloading the PC files add-on, which would allow me to use the import wizard again, but the SAS Private Java Runtime Environment (64-bit) didn't download and install properly. I then tried saving the excel spreadsheet as a CSV, which worked, but then several of my character variables were cut off (i.e., instead of yes, it reads as ye, or instead of pulmonary, it reads as pulomon). I have about 1607 observations with about 32 variables so going through each one to make sure it wasn't cut off would be a time-consuming process. What is the best way for me to proceed?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Ksharp
Super User

I then tried saving the excel spreadsheet as a CSV, which worked, but then several of my character variables were cut off (i.e., instead of yes, it reads as ye, or instead of pulmonary, it reads as pulomon).

Try guessingrows=max option:

proc import datafile= .......;

guessingrows=max;

run;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Try just reading the XLSX file directly (without the point and click wizard).

Make a libref that points to the file using the XLSX engine.  Then you can read the individual sheets.

libname myfile xlsx 'path to file/filename.xlsx';

Or just copy all of them out

proc copy inlib=myfile out=work;
run;
ms2370
Calcite | Level 5

What do I do once I create the libref to the XLSX engine? I only have one sheet in the workbook.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation