BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
anweinbe
Quartz | Level 8

Good evening all...

I'm quite frustrated and clueless on what to do. I'm using SAS studio through WRDS and have been running the same 900 lines of code without issue for weeks. Tonight I went to run it and I'm getting hundreds of errors.

ERROR: A lock is not available for TEMP.BIOTECHLIST.DATA.

I'm an getting this error on pretty much everything. Anyone have a clue what is going on? Literally nothing has changed in 3 weeks to the code. I've tried prior versions too and the same issue comes up.

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

If WRDS data is accessed over a network you be having an issue with any of a number of things that are hopefully temporary.

The next would be if you are working in an environment where multiple people can access the same data and one of your coworkers is using the set in a manner that prevents you from doing anything that doesn't work when the set is locked.

VDD
Ammonite | Level 13 VDD
Ammonite | Level 13

One big issue I run into is when I don't have modify or update permission to the files I can create on shared networks/servers. 

SAS creates a temp file than it renames the file after the process completes, and if you don't have modify permissions you can not even delete the locked version of the file.  While it seems that the file would be in your temp or work folder when it is being created the file may be getting created across the network.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

How does the TEMP library get defined? Is that done in your code or by WRDS when it creates your SAS session?

Does TEMP point to the same folder location for every SAS session? It will if you define it. If WRDS is defining it then it may or may not point to the same folder every time.

The most likely explanation for your problem is that a previous run of your program crashed leaving a rogue SAS process still locking that dataset in TEMP. Only the SAS administrators at WRDS can fix this type of problem. Is there a help desk you can log this problem with?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation